Soulo mutes - personal review

AndrewMeronek

Soulo mutes - personal review

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Because I really like the Soulo bucket, I decided to give the Soulo versions of straight and cup mutes a try.

They sound great.

The straight mute is actually kind of hard to get a good grip on. The aluminum surface is pretty clean and the mute itself is a bit larger in diameter than other straight mutes at the spots where I grab it to insert it. It may be problematic for people with smaller hands.

The cup mute sounds and feels fantastic, although it looks a bit flimsy and I'm not sure sure how durable it will be when getting abused at gigs.

Both mutes sit a bit farther out in the bell than other straight and cup mutes - but who cares - it sounds good.

On both mutes I criticize the cork. On the cup, the cork isn't fully glued on - i.e., there are spots where I can see the cork leaving the mute surface if I (gently) tug it around. The 5-cork setup on the straight mute I just don't understand. 3 corks are standard for good physical reasons: 3 corks compress better when getting a good insertion into the bell.
Last edited by AndrewMeronek on Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
CalgaryTbone

Re: Suolo mutes - personal review

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I have a SOULO (corrected spelling) straight, cup and bucket too (although I can't seem to find my bucket - may need to get another). I like all of them very much. I think the cup will hold up fairly well - it's either fibreglass or carbon fibre construction. I like it because it's lighter than metal cups, and has a sound that is much closer to the H & B and Robinson mutes with better pitch and low range. The bucket, likewise, is lighter and more even than the old standards, and it goes on to the horn quicker/easier. The straight mute is also light, and a bit smaller profile than many others, making it a good choice to fit in the MB case. I switch up my mutes, especially straight mutes for different rep. The Soulo has a buzzy sound and a quick response that I like for certain situations. I think they are making some good products that I would recommend, although all mutes have compromises.

Jim Scott
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:24 am I have a SOULO (corrected spelling)
Fixed.

- Thelonious Monk
JeffBone44

Re: Soulo mutes - personal review

Post by JeffBone44 »

I just ordered a cup mute. Thanks for the review.
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

I really like my cup mute for large tenor
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:24 am I think the cup will hold up fairly well - it's either fibreglass or carbon fibre construction.
Nah, just fiberboard like the old ones.

The cup is basically the Denis Wick design, but made in fiber with some added vent holes. Plays very even and easy. Sound is clearer/simpler/perhaps thinner than H&B, but still fiber-y enough to substitute. Putting the cup on backwards and fairly close to the flare gives a fun vintage sound that doesn't sound like a solotone per se, but occupies a similar musical space...

For small bore use, trimming the corks further improves the low range and there's still miles of cup adjustment distance. The cup itself is ok on 8" bells, but on smaller diameters it makes sense to trim the edge down so that it lands inside the flare. I cut mine down below the first rivet, and it's now the same diameter as a H&B. Scissors will do it, and you can tidy the edge with a block plane and restain it with a Sharpie if you're feeling fancy.
kbryson

Post by kbryson »

I love the sound and response of the Soulo mutes. That being said, I have found the cup mute to be too flimsy for regular gig use. I'm now on my second one over a few years and that one is on its last legs. The connection between the cone section that goes in the bell, and the more tubular section used for adjustment seems to be the weak point.
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Update:

The cork on the cup mute was falling off.

For the cup mute, I got feedback from Soulo as a FYI "fix" to apply some "Cyanoacrylate gel" superglue. I went and got some Allene's brand superglue (with this specific chemistry) from JoAnne Fabrics, and this stuff seems to have done the trick. They also told me that they've since changed the adhesive they use.

- Thelonious Monk
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

AndrewMeronek wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:00 am For the cup mute, I got feedback from Soulo as a FYI "fix" to apply some "Cyanoacrylate gel" superglue. I went and got some Allene's brand superglue (with this specific chemistry) from JoAnne Fabrics, and this stuff seems to have done the trick.
Just FWIW, superglue = cyanoacrylate

...but the gel distinction matters, as the usual runny stuff will absorb and leave you nothing to work with

(The gel form is also useful to have around for emergency wound care, which falls into the "not necessarily formally recommended but worth knowing about" category...)
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Actually, cyanoacrylate glues were used in first aid applications since the Vietnam war, although FDA approval for DermaBond didn't occur until the late 1990s. Veterinary use preceded the use in Vietnam.

Return to “Accessories”