Mary Poppins trombone book- anyone have it?

Burgerbob

Mary Poppins trombone book- anyone have it?

Post by Burgerbob »

Howdy y'all,

I'm playing Poppins here in a couple weeks and I won't be able to pick up the physical book until we start rehearsals. Anyone happen to have a PDF of it floating around?

Thanks for any help!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
CalgaryTbone

Re: Mary Poppins trombone book- anyone have it?

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Sorry, I didn't keep a copy of the book. Tenor or Bass book? Tenor had a Euphonium double and Bass doubled on Tuba. Fun licks, particularly in the dance numbers, and I remember there being straight, cup, harmon(?), solotone, and plunger (?). Nice lyrical playing in a few slow numbers - a "quasi-British brass band" sound to the scoring with cornets, flugal, euph., and tuba. There was also some piccolo trumpet, and in some versions, the french horns double on E flat alto (tenor) horns.

Jim Scott
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I've got the full and reduced parts now from various sources... I'm actually not sure what production we are doing. Based on what I've seen, the reduced one, but the MD said it's the original. Guess I'll find out!
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

It's a great book. Fun to play.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

I've played the bass trombone/tuba part of the original twice, and the tenor trombone/euphonium part of the reduced score once, so I've done three runs total of the show so far. I never got tired of it and I wouldn't mind playing it again someday, it's a lot of fun.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

So, I'm in the run now. I have to say it's... not as fun as I thought it might be. It's probably mostly due to other circumstances, but I'm having trouble finding parts of the show to really dig my teeth into.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

At least is is more fun than Sound of Music!
snoopy

Post by snoopy »

Burgerbob wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:41 pm I've got the full and reduced parts now from various sources... I'm actually not sure what production we are doing. Based on what I've seen, the reduced one, but the MD said it's the original. Guess I'll find out!
Hey Burgerbob,

I'm playing the 11-piece reduced Poppins this week, and a couple of cuts the MD has made have created impossible page turn situations. I don't have a good scanning option right now; do you (or anybody else reading this) still have a scan of the book?

Thanks--
Snoopy
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

snoopy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:09 am
Burgerbob wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:41 pm I've got the full and reduced parts now from various sources... I'm actually not sure what production we are doing. Based on what I've seen, the reduced one, but the MD said it's the original. Guess I'll find out!
Hey Burgerbob,

I'm playing the 11-piece reduced Poppins this week, and a couple of cuts the MD has made have created impossible page turn situations. I don't have a good scanning option right now; do you (or anybody else reading this) still have a scan of the book?

Thanks--
Snoopy
I do! I can send it when I get home.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

So which version, instrumentation, are you using?

Return to “Performance”