Will it ever get better than this?

Pictures, video, etc.
VJOFan

Will it ever get better than this?

Post by VJOFan »

One of the first albums I bought when I began to imagine myself as a professional trombonist featured this JJ and Kai led trombone octet. It is an absolutely commercial album. Pop songs or at least widely familiar tunes of the time (except for the piece for two tromboniums…) are the order of the day, but it’s also filled with great extended harmonies and always swinging hard. It is jazz. It is pop. I could see some tracks getting radio play in its day. Anyway a little you tube rabbit hole reminded me of the opening of You Don’t Know What Love Is but I couldn’t remember that was what was in my ear. After some hard memory work I placed the source as this record.

Hope you all can enjoy some Friday night tunes!

robcat2075

Re: Will it ever get better than this?

Post by robcat2075 »

VJOFan wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:30 pm I could see some tracks getting radio play in its day.
Yeah. On a certain kind of FM station.

What has become of the "instrumental" since then? They used to be common yet are pretty much unknown today.

I'm trying to think of the last time a no-vocal instrumental was a competitive pop hit. "Axel F" (Beverly Hills CopTheme) in the 80s?
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

The album is from at least a couple or so decades before the 80’s so there were a lot more places that might play it.

At any rate it was great to get back in touch with an old friend. I could still sing along to most of the solos.
PhilTrombone

Post by PhilTrombone »

Great stuff, thanks!

For a contemporary band inspired by on the J & K octet, check out the Band of Bones:

https://bandofbones.com

They have 4 CD's out as well.
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

PhilTrombone wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:12 am Great stuff, thanks!

For a contemporary band inspired by on the J & K octet, check out the Band of Bones:

https://bandofbones.com

They have 4 CD's out as well.
Fun, even with the flute solo…. :D

Return to “Media”