Cleartone / Solotone Mute modifications/improvements?

20posaunen

Cleartone / Solotone Mute modifications/improvements?

Post by 20posaunen »

Hi all,
Does anyone know if there are mods to improve the intonation and slotting accuracy of a H&B cleartone (solotone) mute. Compared to my other mutes, my cleartone feels extremely “stuffy” and quiet, and some partials will barely sound at all. IDK if it is a dud, or a design flaw.

I know some mutes benefit from a hole drilled… If I’m ever to use this mute with any confidence, SOMETHING needs to change!

Thanks in advance.
Daniel
Kdanielsen

Re: Cleartone / Solotone Mute modifications/improvements?

Post by Kdanielsen »

Id also like to know if anyone has any thoughts on the trumcor vintage tone mute
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

The H&B Cleartones suck. I have heard tales of people who have "good" ones...but I am personally skeptical of those stories. Given your description above, sounds like yours is working as designed.

Most mutes which benefit from adding a hole are those with essentially a sealed inner chamber. As you know, the Cleartone isn't built like that. When I was still tolerating one of those H&B's, the only thing I found which helped just a bit was to make sure that the tube on the inside is centered in the hole on the the end with the cork. If it's not, there isn't much you can do because of the way that tube is attached at the bottom. You can't put too much force on it or it'll break off or crack where it's attached, but you can move it some in my experience. I say drill a hole in it and see what happens. :idk:

There are a couple more modern options which are leaps and bounds better in every way that counts. I invested in one of them (Yupon) a few years ago and just wrapped up a show this weekend where I needed to use it. The Yupon doesn't add any more resistance than I experience with most any other mute which gets inserted in the bell. It resonates freely, responds great, articulations are easy and it also lets you increase volume without making you feel like you might get a hernia. Great low range too, but that's rarely needed. It actually works just as well in a bass trombone too, somehow. Maybe the best part is that it only makes you about a 1/4 tone sharp in comparison to just shy of a whole step like the H&B. It's easy to make that adjustment on the handslide instead of needing to consider yanking the main tuning slide out an inch or so when the H&B goes in the bell.

I know they're not cheap, and neither are the other options. If you're going to need it even more than once a year and the job you need it for is remotely serious, I think it's worth it. More often than not, the cue/phrase which calls for this mute is really exposed.

I can only speak on the Yupon, but If you'd like to check it out, here's a thread with a recent discussion of some of the aforementined modern options:
https://www.trombonechat.com/viewtopic. ... 73#p219573
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

bassclef wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:42 pm The H&B Cleartones suck. I have heard tales of people who have "good" ones...but I am personally skeptical of those stories.
My H&B Cleartone works fine. :idk: I've used it on quite a few gigs and recordings sessions and never had a problem.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

A lot of mutes are very picky about placement. Especially the ones with the full seal cork. Need to add or remove cork to get the length right. I was taught that you can’t use any mute right out of the box, have to find where it fits the horn so I have done that with my mutes.

It was so long ago that I don’t remember what I did to this one, but I’ve has been fine every time I’ve needed it (thrice in 25+ years?).

Related, never did this with a bass metal straight. So that one never comes out.

Cheers,
Andy
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

Finetales wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:51 pm
bassclef wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:42 pm The H&B Cleartones suck. I have heard tales of people who have "good" ones...but I am personally skeptical of those stories.
My H&B Cleartone works fine. :idk: I've used it on quite a few gigs and recordings sessions and never had a problem.
Oh, I believe you, I was mostly kidding there. But, I have had two of them. They each played differently and I didn't like either example. I liked them even less once I "upgraded".
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

bassclef wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:27 pmI liked them even less once I "upgraded".
I do very much want to try some of the nicer solotones, and I do suspect that if I get my hands on one of the nicer ones I will have the same experience.
20posaunen

Post by 20posaunen »

Well, for clarity, my H&B cleartone affects the middle Bb partial very little in pitch. BUT, the Bb an octave higher (really all partials above 6th/F partial) are incredibly flat. I mean beyond 30 cents flat.
As noted, the rep is all in that tessitura. So far, I’ve just had to use all extended positions and bring them in significantly, but that does not exactly inspire confidence on the gig!

Besides the yupon, someone also recommended a GEWA version. I see the aluminum GEWA solotone for sale at clarinetreedsshop.com, but I’m not confident that the website is even legit…. Has anyone shopped here for mutes?
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

20posaunen wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:46 am clarinetreedsshop.com
"Founded in 2008 by a crew of enthusiasts aiming to make sneakers more accessible to all consumers,Fiberreed shop is a reminder that there’s a pair for everyone, regardless of brand, price, style, size, and function."

Ima say no... buy one from Thomann
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

ithinknot wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:11 am Ima say no... buy one from Thomann
:good:
DaveAshley

Post by DaveAshley »

The Yupon is really incredible! I bought one in Tokyo in April 2019, and it's FAR superior to my old H&B. That said, I carry the H&B on the road (Glenn Miller Orch), because I don't want the Yupon to get beat up.

The H&B is fine, as long as you remember to play a little lower on the slide.

Return to “Accessories”