Mute changes on 'Mary's Idea' (1938)

tedthetrumpet

Mute changes on 'Mary's Idea' (1938)

Post by tedthetrumpet »

Has anyone played the Jazzlines version of 'Mary's Idea' (1938)? The mute changes seem to me to be impossible. But on the other hand, it does sound right per the recording. If anyone wants to have a look:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ad9divkg ... fa7u7&dl=0

Top of the page is Cup (not shown, but says 'to cup' on the previous page). Six beats at crotchet=150 to Open I can almost manage if hold the cup loosely in the bell and then just drop it on the floor.

Solo is open, but then just one quaver to get to a plunger…

Any ideas?
BGuttman

Re: Mute changes on 'Mary's Idea' (1938)

Post by BGuttman »

I'd play the solo holding the plunger in the open (o) position
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
tedthetrumpet

Post by tedthetrumpet »

Yes, but! There is an open tutti immediately before the solo, so no time to take plunger! So have to play that tutti also on open plunger? In which case I'm wondering about taking the whole two pages on plunger and never mind the cup…
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

You could either,

A) quickly slam that cup mute out and into the back of your knee in six beats, with the plunger just on your lap. The two extra beats of rest after that might be enough to grab the plunger up. Use the plunger on your solo or just hold it open.

B) use your plunger half open as the cup mute for the whole song. Probably would work better with a stone-lined plunger.

C) play into the stand instead of cup mute. Grab plunger during six beats of rest.

Return to “Performance”