Returning Player

Important Trombone Chat information starts here.
JetMech

Returning Player

Post by JetMech »

Hi all,

I'm just returning after a long(15 year?) hiatus. I played through college and ceased once I moved into apartment living and had to contend with adjoining walls. After we moved the last time I decided to get back to playing again. Working through getting my chops back to where they were when I was playing every day, and enjoying the journey. Once I get to the point where I won't embarrass myself too bad, I plan on getting in with a local community band.

Currently in my paddock:
Conn 8H(mid to late 60s vintage, going off what I can still read of the serial number)
Olds Custom(1973-74 timeframe)
Besson Sovereign 944
Besson Sovereign 940

Looking forward to engaging with this community, seems like a good group.

-JetMech
Kingfan

Re: Returning Player

Post by Kingfan »

Welcome back!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
JetMech

Post by JetMech »

Thanks so much! I've been having a blast playing again. This community has already been a huge help as I sift through equipment I bought all those years ago. I worked in a music store in college and was way into the gear side of things.
-Lane
cb56

Post by cb56 »

Any suggestions for a method book for returning players? Been about 7 years.
JetMech

Post by JetMech »

I've been using the Rubank intermediate book. It's got a good balance of exercises along with melodic things. I've found long tones and articulation exercises especially helpful in building some of those muscles back up after my hiatus. I would definitely check over in the Teaching/Learning section of this forum. There is a ton of good information there as well.
-Lane
StephenK

Post by StephenK »

I think you would find Unlocking the Trombone Code by Ian Bousfield useful as a daily visit, cycling through a part of each section daily.
balkansobranie

Post by balkansobranie »

Welcome back. I posted here a few months ago in much the same position as you, returning to the Trombone after almost 20 years away. I must say while it felt a bit heavy going for the first couple of weeks, I am now quite suprised just how quickly it has all come back to me and how well things are progressing. I think plenty of short sessions several times a day is the way to go if you can manage it. I've now settled down to a 20 minute morning warm up and then 40 - 60 minutes later on, at first though I was doing much shorter "mini sessions" and I stopped if things became sore. I also avoided using too much pressure for high notes initially (and indeed didn't too much high playing at all for the first month).

I used a combination of various books for warm ups and exercises. Variety is a good thing to keep the mind engaged.

After playing for a few weeks at a local wind band I've felt a big improvement in stamina, so I would recomend getting yourself a weekly blow somewhere if you can after a while - it is also good for keepign the motivation to practice.

Happy playing.
1969 Conn 88H Elkhart Tenor Trombone used with Marcinkiewicz model ET1 Byron Peebles Mouthpiece.

Martin "Urbie Green" Medium Bore Tenor Trombone used with Marcinkiewicz Mouthpiece model 8.
JetMech

Post by JetMech »

Thanks for the words of encouragement all! I've actually been fortunate enough to find a community band to play with once a week, so that's given me a place to work on building up my endurance(and intonation, haha). balkansobranie, I've been doing just that, short sessions rather than long slogs.

StephenK, I appreciate the book reference, I'll check it out!
-Lane
Jwesleym

Post by Jwesleym »

I'm also working on my chops. Had a long hiatus since high school. Now I'm retired from the Navy and getting back to playing.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Welcome to TromboneChat! There’s a lot of good intermediate to advanced books out there. If you’re looking for method books, the Hal Leonard Advanced books are nice. There’s an appendix by Robert Marstellar that has some good exercises. The tuba book with appendix by Arnold Jacobs is also nice, especially if you get bitten by the bass ‘bone bug.

If you’re looking for warm-up and routine books, the Remington Warm-Ups (edited by Donald Hunsberger) are standard fare. Michael Davis’ 15 and 20 Minute Warm Up books (actually routine books) are nice, too, and have the added attraction of a play-along CD.

Arban’s is a standard. After that, there’s many different ways to go, depending on what kind of playing you want to do. A good teacher who has experience with adult students can be really helpful to guide you on playing and what kind of books/methods are helpful.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
samboni

Post by samboni »

Hi,
I too, am a returning player of sorts, although in reality my only experience was a couple of years in band as a kid. Wish I never quit now, but having fun learning again. Over a few months I found this a very interesting and informative site, so decided to join. Thought I would post here rather than create a new thread.
JetMech

Post by JetMech »

Love to see more returning players! And Kbiggs, that bass bone bug got me bad. In the three groups I'm in now, that's all I'm playing. Appreciate the insight!
-Lane
andesl10

Post by andesl10 »

Hi Lane, welcome back to the dark side! The above method books are all fantastic, hope you don't mind my adding another recommendation. No matter what kind of playing you're doing I'd always recommend Brad Edwards books. Particularly his "Lip Slur Melodies" book. It's great for getting back into shape, and especially helps me connect my slide and air.

https://www.hornbonepress.com/books/ls-lsm/

Return to “News & Announcements”