Lining material for vintage case

Ozzlefinch

Lining material for vintage case

Post by Ozzlefinch »

Not sure if this is the right chat for this, but I have a very old case that needs to be relined. I've done the usual "internet research" but didn't find anything definitive about the subject.

The original case looks like it maybe has either wool or some kind of cotton felting, I'm not sure because it's so worn out. I am concerned about the material off-gassing or leaving residue of some type on the horn. I would assume that modern case liners are polyester or similar? I don't really know. I'm not too concerned about being 100% material authentic as long as it "looks correct."

I've already repaired the case wood and I have the canvas and dope for the outer covering. I need to get the interior cloth before I start the project so I can get the overlaps and such lined up correctly.

Thanks in advance to the hive-mind.
Posaunus

Re: Lining material for vintage case

Post by Posaunus »

I think Mamaposaune posted some information about restoring old cases.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

I like to find fabric shops that do a lot of upholstery, then I root around in the remnants. You may find something that appeals that way that you wouldn't ordinarily have thought about.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Crushed velvet. Many colors available.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Get to know your local fabric stores. Some have an amazing assortment of fabrics. You’ll want something that doesn’t stretch in either direction.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Ozzlefinch

Post by Ozzlefinch »

Any fabric types to avoid?
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

Ozzlefinch wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:20 pm Any fabric types to avoid?
I'd recommend a good quality cotton blend velour-type fabric in a solid color. Nylon or polyester is difficult to work with and does not glue well, felt and furry-types for making teddy bears just look cheap. For the amount of time and effort relining a case takes, get something that is good quality so that it lasts and looks good for many years.
Ozzlefinch

Post by Ozzlefinch »

I'm leaning towards a red velvet since that is what my best guess for what was used originally. I certainly don't want it to look cheap, even though for all practical purposes I will be the only one looking at it.

It rather has a coffin like appearance to be honest, black doped cotton covered wood case with red cloth lining. Probably the style of the day since the macabre was popular at the time.

I'm thinking I'll use hide glue on it as was done originally. I have a pound of it left over from a violin repair job I did a while back, so might as well use it.
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

Sounds good. Be sure to post pics of the progress, and the finished work-of-art for sure!

Return to “Modification & Repair”