Music/studies for an orchestra section

How and what to teach and learn.
johntarr

Music/studies for an orchestra section

Post by johntarr »

Part of my teaching job has me playing in the local community orchestra with amateurs playing 2nd, bass and tuba. I’m wondering if there are any materials that we could use to work on intonation, articulation and sound that would be enjoyable to play. I am aware that we could pull out the standard excerpts but I’m looking for something a little easier and a complete piece.

Many thanks for any suggestions,

John
Kbiggs

Re: Music/studies for an orchestra section

Post by Kbiggs »

One of the easiest things is to use Bach chorales. Intonation, articulation and sound are highlighted without the added complication of complex rhythms.

Just curious: as a teacher, would you ever think about a student playing principal while you play second?
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

To add to the chorales, just get some trombone quartet music and play it. I did this with my section and they enjoyed the quartet part of the sectionals more than the section work. I also got compliments from the conductor on how well we sounded together.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
afugate

Post by afugate »

Benjamin Coy has some stuff. This is for three orchestral bones.
https://www.coymusic.com/practice_tools ... _trombones

--Andy in OKC
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

There is a book of etudes for section playing. I cant remember what it’s called. I might be able to find it in my music mess tomorrow. I bet Gabe Rice knows. It’s the one we used in trombone choir at BU.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

johntarr wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:12 pm Part of my teaching job has me playing in the local community orchestra with amateurs playing 2nd, bass and tuba. I’m wondering if there are any materials that we could use to work on intonation, articulation and sound that would be enjoyable to play. I am aware that we could pull out the standard excerpts but I’m looking for something a little easier and a complete piece.

John
Not as part of a teaching gig, but I'm being paid by a community orchestra to play principal while others play 2nd, bass, and tuba, just like you. I'm curious about this so I will follow, but after you try some stuff out can you please post what worked for you and what didn't? I'm guessing I'm not the only other person here who would be curious to see your results so maybe we go to school on you and do what works. :)
johntarr

Post by johntarr »

Kbiggs wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:45 pm One of the easiest things is to use Bach chorales. Intonation, articulation and sound are highlighted without the added complication of complex rhythms.

Just curious: as a teacher, would you ever think about a student playing principal while you play second?
Thanks for reminding me about the chorales. To your question about having a student play principal: I hadn’t thought of that because my students are mostly younger, as in elementary and junior high. There are two high school aged students but one is just starting and the other is a euphonium player struggling with learning the trombone. When my younger students get to the point where they could play in the orchestra, I might have them play principal.

Thanks!
johntarr

Post by johntarr »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:15 pm To add to the chorales, just get some trombone quartet music and play it. I did this with my section and they enjoyed the quartet part of the sectionals more than the section work. I also got compliments from the conductor on how well we sounded together.
This is what we really need to do but I am wondering about quartets that are suitable for the tuba on the fourth part. Can you recommend some quartet collections?

Thanks!
johntarr

Post by johntarr »

afugate wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:06 pm Benjamin Coy has some stuff. This is for three orchestral bones.

--Andy in OKC
Those look really interesting but I need to include our tuba player.

Thanks!
johntarr

Post by johntarr »

tbdana wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:11 pm
johntarr wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:12 pm Part of my teaching job has me playing in the local community orchestra with amateurs playing 2nd, bass and tuba. I’m wondering if there are any materials that we could use to work on intonation, articulation and sound that would be enjoyable to play. I am aware that we could pull out the standard excerpts but I’m looking for something a little easier and a complete piece.

John
Not as part of a teaching gig, but I'm being paid by a community orchestra to play principal while others play 2nd, bass, and tuba, just like you. I'm curious about this so I will follow, but after you try some stuff out can you please post what worked for you and what didn't? I'm guessing I'm not the only other person here who would be curious to see your results so maybe we go to school on you and do what works. :)
Yes, I will. :good:
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

There's an arrangement of Bach chorales (like 300+) arranged for trombone quartet on Cherry Classics that works really well. Also Sunny Ausman's Hymns books work really well. Really great just playing in tune and together materials!
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
boneagain

Post by boneagain »

johntarr wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:16 pm
afugate wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:06 pm Benjamin Coy has some stuff. This is for three orchestral bones.

--Andy in OKC
Those look really interesting but I need to include our tuba player.

Thanks!
With amateurs it can be a big deal to get the tuba and bass trombone to latch in to each other and the string basses. Trios are a good way for those two to stay in balance with trombones one and two AND hear exactly where they are out of tune or time with each other.

Quartets can be nice for the ensemble feel, but neglect the functional harmonic role the bass trombone often plays, especially in community orchestra repetoire.

TLDR: don't count out the trios too quickly :)
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

johntarr wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:12 pm
BGuttman wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:15 pm To add to the chorales, just get some trombone quartet music and play it. I did this with my section and they enjoyed the quartet part of the sectionals more than the section work. I also got compliments from the conductor on how well we sounded together.
This is what we really need to do but I am wondering about quartets that are suitable for the tuba on the fourth part. Can you recommend some quartet collections?

Thanks!
I don't have access to my quartet folders here, but I remember using a lot of the Robert King arrangements. Our tubist would occasionally take a phrase or note down an octave as necessary.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Teaching & Learning”