The Otto Langey Celebrated Tutor

Spin your yarns here.
Mamaposaune

The Otto Langey Celebrated Tutor

Post by Mamaposaune »

My Otto Langey book had been given to me by my first private trombone teacher when I was a teenager, +/- 50 years ago. I had great respect for this man, Russell Leigh, who was in his mid-70's at the time, retired, but had played professionally and graduated from Peabody Conservatory. He told stories of performing with Arthur Pryor and Simone Mantia, although I was not able to fully appreciate them until years later and wish I had written them down. He enjoyed working with me because, as he told me, I practiced and listened to what he taught.
I literally loved that book to death. I found the exercises, solos, and excerpts fun to practice.
Since the cover had been lost long ago when the binding fell apart and the pages mixed up, I spent years trying to remember what the title was and who wrote it.
Recently as I was playing through some of my old favorites, I noticed that a concerto had been written by Otto Langey, and it jogged my memory.
So, I was able to track down a newly published book of my old fav, thanks to Gordon Cherry, and my hubby bought me a copy for my birthday. (That, and dinner, was all I asked for.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tangents”