Hot Trombonist

Spin your yarns here.
officermayo

Hot Trombonist

Post by officermayo »

"When in doubt, blow out" - MSgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
Burgerbob

Re: Hot Trombonist

Post by Burgerbob »

Hydrate or diedrate, as they say. Solidarity- not looking forward to the summer here either!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

Back in the day I marched 5 mi+ parades in full USMC Dress Blues in the South during June - August. That's when I discovered copious amounts of beer will cause dehydration. :-)

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
flyingcow

Post by flyingcow »

officermayo wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:29 pm Back in the day I marched 5 mi+ parades in full USMC Dress Blues in the South during June - August. That's when I discovered copious amounts of beer will cause dehydration. :-)
The trick is to be in a college hockey pep band. The copious amounts of beer are cancelled by the fact that it's 38 degrees in the arena.
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

He's a lucky guy in the way he fell, that could have been so much worse for him.

I've seen guys go down face first before (no instrument) and it's not nice. The big thick heavy uniforms certainly don't help. I used to hate doing the marching displays at 2pm in the middle of summer!
RobL

Trombonist faints during Colonel's Review (rehearsal) for Trooping the Colour this past Sat,

Post by RobL »

but makes it off the parade ground upright. Looks like the slide may need some re-alignment, though! Another soldier did need to be carried off via stretcher; hope they're both all right.

Last edited by RobL on Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndrewMeronek

Re: Trombonist faints during Colonel's Review (rehearsal) for Trooping of the Colour this past Sat,

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Oof! Poor slide, just getting dropped like that.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I merged the two topics on trombonists fainting. This is an occupational hazard of playing in a Military Band.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

BGuttman wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:33 pm I merged the two topics on trombonists fainting. This is an occupational hazard of playing in a Military Band.
Yes, it is!

I never had the fortune to faint in a parade. But the physical stamina required for some conditions: weather, unknown delays, extra time standing at attention . . . yes, it can be brutal.

Extremely athletic.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

When I was a kid, they handed out salt pills prior to a parade in order to prevent passing out. The 60s.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I passed out in the shower at the YMCA one time after exercising and then getting in the hot tub. Woke up surrounded by naked men.
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

[quote=AndrewMeronek post_id=212354 time=1686528024

I never had the fortune to faint in a parade. But the physical stamina required for some conditions: weather, unknown delays, extra time standing at attention . . . yes, it can be brutal.

Extremely athletic.
[/quote]
When I was in Marine Corps field bands, we ran PT almost every day. Platoon runs were at least 3 miles and often more. These days at 64 I WALK 3 miles.

MBurner

Post by MBurner »

Sadly, this is a common occurrence during summers in Arlington National Cemetery. The best advice is get outdoors independently each day to acclimate, no alcohol (I know, Gasp!), and make sure to hydrate and fuel properly through the week. On a particularly hot day with a double Chapel (give or take 4-5 miles), I lost 6lbs in sweat.

Return to “Tangents”