High register in warm-up

How and what to teach and learn.
Olofson

Re: High register in warm-up

Post by Olofson »

I don´t play very high tones when warming up. Some players do. And it works very good for many of them. Trombone playing has been going on since 1450. Many ways of playing and teaching has been developed by good players and good teachers. Reinhardts method must be one of the good ones. But to call it the only method that works must be said by someone that have studied all other methode there is. Wow. That is heavy.
BrassedOn

Post by BrassedOn »

I saw the Watrous tip of starting warms up higher like G, I think in a video of a clinic, and I moved the “center” of my warm up from middle Bb eventually to F above the staff. Gradually and starting softly and gently. And easing from high F both up and down at the start of my warm up. 5 or 10 min.

Basically I thought of it as the set for my aperture would be smaller rather than more open or spread compared to when staring at middle Bb and slurring down and such.

It may be just a mental trick or just focusing and firming my muscles, but my playing up the next octave with security soon improved. And probably other ways to get the same effect.
"Do less, better."
1971 King 3B Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision Bass
2016 Strunal double bass
Trombonic

Post by Trombonic »

Ok, I am not kidding: when I was about 18 I got copy of the warm up routine written by Phil Wilson (Woody Hermann, later teacher at Berklee)for his students. It began with a f2, the triad down to pedal F, this triads chromtically downwards to db2, then up to c3 and the same downward triad to the pedals (including fake tones) This was the start and it went on with other lip tortures and doodle tongue as high as possible..
Today I am of the opinion that a warm up in with low register was required before starting this but it WAS NOT on that ****** copies. So I started this way. I did this for a few years and it nearly killed me...but it also forced my body to find a way to manage this madness at last..never had a problems with high notes :-)
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Bill Watrous talks about his warm up

Return to “Teaching & Learning”