Suggestions for fixing problems post jaw surgery?

How and what to teach and learn.
gdoug

Suggestions for fixing problems post jaw surgery?

Post by gdoug »

I had to have jaw surgery a year and half ago to fix some night time breathing issues. My upper jaw was moved up and forward, while my lower jaw was moved forward and slightly rotated. As you might imagine, it was a hell of a procedure, one I am still in some ways recovering from.

I've been playing regularly since this January, but I am really struggling with a few things, and am needing some suggestions on how to figure it out again - especially if you / a student of yours has had a similar procedure done. Some context: my embouchure is totally different because the movements were pretty extreme. My teeth are in a different position, as is my chin, etc. etc. Additionally, I've lost feeling in the lower half of my mouth. On the right its almost entirely gone, while on the left, its there, but prickly and a little painful (but not enough to bother me when playing). My gums are also pretty numb, so detecting pressure touch there is hard - but that will come back still.

I am struggling with:
-Range. Used to play well above the staff, into high C, D, and beyond. Now I am struggling with the middle Bflat and above. It is slowly improving... very slowly.
-Durability. I get extreme pain and tired feeling in cheeks/jaw after only maybe 10-20 seconds of playing much above a middle F. Once a little warmer, this is less extreme. But after about 1.5 hours of playing, this gets really bad.
-Sustaining notes. Especially when I need to lower my dynamic.
-Air loss. I seem to be leaking air from the sides of my mouth. The harder I clamp, the worse all the other ^ things get.

A final piece of context is that I have none of these issues when playing below the staff. Playing low is no problem.
Doug Elliott

Re: Suggestions for fixing problems post jaw surgery?

Post by Doug Elliott »

I'm pretty sure I can help you with a Skype lesson. I need to see what you're doing and what you have to work with.
PM me here or send an email.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Have a lesson with Doug
flyingcow

Post by flyingcow »

Vegasbound wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:18 am Have a lesson with Doug
Seconded. He did wonders for both my upper and lower register.
Silverbee

Post by Silverbee »

Hey, About a year and a half ago, I had jaw surgery to address my breathing problems at night. My lower jaw was moved forward and slightly rotated, while my upper jaw was moved up and forward. I also decided to get a chin implant throughout the procedure to make my face look better. I'm still recovering in some ways, and it was a complicated process. I've had trouble playing my instrument since January because the surgery and chin implant significantly altered my embouchure. My ability to play is impacted by my teeth, chin, and mouth positions. If anyone has knowledge of a comparable process, I would be very grateful for advice on how to modify and enhance my playing.Thank You!
David123

Post by David123 »

One of my friends, tired of fine lines, tried Botox https://www.elitemedspa.ca/services/fac ... lle/botox/. After the injections, doubt crept in, but days later, her reflection revealed a smoother canvas. Boosted confidence led her to a job interview she'd avoided, and she aced the interview. Botox smoothed her skin and path, proving that a little self-care could redefine her journey. She had mild pain that lasted only for a few days.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Silverbee wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:02 am Hey, About a year and a half ago, I had jaw surgery to address my breathing problems at night. My lower jaw was moved forward and slightly rotated, while my upper jaw was moved up and forward. I also decided to get a chin implant throughout the procedure to make my face look better. I'm still recovering in some ways, and it was a complicated process. I've had trouble playing my instrument since January because the surgery and chin implant significantly altered my embouchure. My ability to play is impacted by my teeth, chin, and mouth positions. If anyone has knowledge of a comparable process, I would be very grateful for advice on how to modify and enhance my playing.Thank You!
Have a lesson with Doug Elliott
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

David123 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:54 am One of my friends, tired of fine lines, tried Botox https://www.elitemedspa.ca/services/fac ... lle/botox/. After the injections, doubt crept in, but days later, her reflection revealed a smoother canvas. Boosted confidence led her to a job interview she'd avoided, and she aced the interview. Botox smoothed her skin and path, proving that a little self-care could redefine her journey. She had mild pain that lasted only for a few days.
And in what way did it improve her trombone playing?
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Vegasbound wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:00 am And in what way did it improve her trombone playing?
David123 is not a trombonist. He/she (as well as KiaraEdward004) are trolls who have invaded TromboneChat to market services for various Toronto medical/dental/ophthalmic businesses. I request that our moderators review their posts and uninvite them from TromboneChat. This is not an appropriate place for such advertising.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Posaunus wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:45 am
Vegasbound wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:00 am And in what way did it improve her trombone playing?
David123 is not a trombonist. He/she (as well as KiaraEdward004) are trolls who have invaded TromboneChat to market services for various Toronto medical/dental/ophthalmic businesses. I request that our moderators review their posts and uninvite them from TromboneChat. This is not an appropriate place for such advertising.
Yes hence my tongue in cheek question

Return to “Teaching & Learning”