Need advice for King 3B Purchase!

ckyirong

Need advice for King 3B Purchase!

Post by ckyirong »

Hello everyone!

I'm excited to make my first post here and thanks for having such a great and useful online community.

So, I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should pull the trigger on buying a King 3B Concert. Recently, my Conn 6H went out of commission and I've been looking to replace it. I primarily play jazz where I improvise/solo a lot, lead melodies in a quartet-like setting, and every now and then play with multiple horn players on the bandstand.

I'll definitely be play testing this horn before purchasing but I was hoping to get some advice/commentary on the lacquer wear of this horn. There seems to be a lot of it and im not sure if I should be concerned? The seller says there's no cracks whatsoever, slide is perfect, and the bone should last. The serial number is: 496XXX and is selling for 1100 CAD.

One thing to note is that I'm located in Vancouver, BC and the trombone market here is incredibly thin...can barely find anything out here unfortunately and really need a solid horn to work with! Currently, I've been getting by with my king 606 from back in high school...

Side note...I'm also looking for/into the ysl 891z...if anyone has thoughts on a 3b vs ysl 891z that would be helpful too!

Here are the photos:

hyperbolica

Re: Need advice for King 3B Purchase!

Post by hyperbolica »

3b might feel bigger, but will definitely sound brighter than the 6h. Both are great horns, standard jazz axes. Lacquer wear wouldn't bother me but slide condition would. If it sounds /feels good and the slide is good, what else is there?
Posaunus

Re: Need advice for King 3B Purchase!

Post by Posaunus »

If the slide is good on the 3B (King slides are often very good) you can't go wrong. I love the sound of a 3B - but it will be a little different than a Conn 6H.

The Yamaha 891Z has received some favorable comments on this forum.

If these two are your options, you're in good shape.

Return to “Instruments”