Need help! King Concert 3b Trombone

micseeb

Need help! King Concert 3b Trombone

Post by micseeb »

Can someone please help me find out more about a King Concert 3b Trombone that I’ve acquired? I am actually a guitarist and I know absolutely nothing about this instrument lol. Asking around I’ve heard everything from it being a ‘great little jazz axe’ to a ‘pea shooter’. It was given to me by a former student whom I was teaching to play bass guitar and was primarily a trombonist. The store I was teaching at was going out of business and as a gesture of appreciation, he gave me this trombone. I would really just like to know more specifics about it. I can’t seem to find info just surfing around. I recently took it to a local band rental/repair shop and was told that it could sell for anywhere between $800-1700. Not really looking to sell right away. Was told certain procedures could be done to increase its value and I would be willing to put in the extra work. One not-so-good thing is it doesn’t have a hard shell case. It is in a soft case. Is there somewhere I can post pics of it here?
Kingfan

Re: Need help! King Concert 3b Trombone

Post by Kingfan »

The King 3B Concert is a great horn. Not a pea shooter, it has a .508 bore. If a straight trombone, it is a versatile jazz horn with other uses. If it has a rotary valve on the bell section, it is a fine all-around horn that can be used in community bands and a variety of other ensembles. Post a serial number and we might be able to tell you the age. Click on "Full Editor & Preview". then "Attachments", and you should be able to post pics. Attached is a King catalog from 1973.
King trombone catalog 7-15-73.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

You can put your photos in Google Drive, Dropbox, or One Drive (for example) and share the links here. You may be able to embed the photos directly into your post.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The King 3B is a professional level instrument from King. It's been a popular choice for jazz. The version with an F-attachment is a great all-around for band, jazz band, theater, and small combo. It's a tad small for heavy classical use.

The King professional line includes:

2B Liberty Dual bore .481/.491 (inches)
2B Jiggs single bore .491 built little shorter
2B+ .500 bore
3B Concert .508 bore
3B+ .525 bore
4B Sonorous .547 bore, 8.5" bell
5B Symphony .547 bore, F-attachment, 9" bell
6B Duo Gravis: .562 bore, dependent valve bass
7B .562 bore, independent valve bass
8B .562 bore, independent bass, 10.5" bell
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
micseeb

Post by micseeb »

I have looked EVERYWHERE on this trombone and I cannot find the serial number!! I read that King parts are interchangeable and sometimes they may not have one?? Anyway, here is an Instagram link to some photos of it:
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

There should be a six digit number on the receiver (where the slide mates with the bell). There is also a 4 digit number on the slide, but it is not the serial number.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Klimchak

Post by Klimchak »

It is a 3b bell section, but the slide is from a 606. The cork barrels are different on the 606, and it has brass outer tubes. .500” bore, student level technically, but I like the way they play and sometimes use one with my 3b if I want a bit more point to my sound.
micseeb

Post by micseeb »

How does having a 606 slide on a Concert 3b affect the value of the instrument? I checked everywhere on the receiver for serial number and none were anywhere to be found. If anyone would like a pic of certain area please let me know.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

micseeb wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:03 am How does having a 606 slide on a Concert 3b affect the value of the instrument? I checked everywhere on the receiver for serial number and none were anywhere to be found. If anyone would like a pic of certain area please let me know.
Yes, that will make it worth less.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher

Return to “Instruments”