Loosening leadpipe on old Horn !

Tbarh

Loosening leadpipe on old Horn !

Post by Tbarh »

I am about to change inners on a 1924 Conn and would like to know if there are any technician out there that can give me an advice on How to remove the original leadpipe without damage…The old inners are toast so no need to salvage them in the process.. My technician are really good but i suppose that This is a very delicate process ,so any tip would appreciated..😉Thanks in advance!
Trond
tbonesullivan

Re: Loosening leadpipe on old Horn !

Post by tbonesullivan »

Depending on cleaning, body chemistry, and design, a leadpipe can be difficult to remove intact after 10 years. After 100? It's anyone's guess. There may barely be an intact leadpipe inside the slide at this point. There is probably a lot of corrosion and mineral deposits holding it in place, and if the inner are "toast"...
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
BrexWindWright

Post by BrexWindWright »

If the inner is being replaced…you can do deconstructive “surgery” and cut the old pipe out. Slice the outer lengthwise below the leadpipe and “peel” your way up towards the mouthpiece receiver. Go slow. Really, though I’d expect corn flakes in there—set your expectations.
Fix it. Make it better.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Trond,
Do you really want to put a 99-year-old (probably corroded and crusty) leadpipe into your new shiny inner slide?
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

Posaunus wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:45 am Trond,
Do you really want to put a 99-year-old (probably corroded and crusty) leadpipe into your new shiny inner slide?
Because the Sound !! 😉😉😉
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

This is how I do it:

Spray penetrating oil down the stocking end of the slide tube.
Let it sit a day or 2.
Use a leadpipe extracting tool, which is a steel rod with 2 different diameters.
The instructions say to put it in the mouthpiece end of the leadpipe, but in my experience that does not work.
I lubricate it and drop it down from the stocking end so the small diameter end sticks out of the leadpipe.
Put the tool in a vise.
Heat the whole length of the leadpipe with a torch to crack the corrosion.
Then heat just the top end of the leadpipe enough to melt the solder.
Grab the slide tube (further down where it's not hot, obviously) and twist it off of the leadpipe.
If it doesn't come out, repeat the last 3 steps.
If it still doesn't come out, take it out of the vise and stick a long steel rod or slide mandrel down the stocking end.
Steel rod needs to fit loosely inside the leadpipe, and you have to be careful not to damage the leadpipe with it.
Melt the solder again and use the rod to tap against the back of the leadpipe tool.'
Repeated blows usually knock it loose. Then you can put it back in the vise and twist it out.
If it's particularly stubborn, I might go back to the penetrating oil and try again the next day.

And if that doesn't work, you can peel off the slide tube like a sardine can, as already mentioned.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

brassmedic wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:26 pm This is how I do it:

Spray penetrating oil down the stocking end of the slide tube.
Let it sit a day or 2.
Use a leadpipe extracting tool, which is a steel rod with 2 different diameters.
The instructions say to put it in the mouthpiece end of the leadpipe, but in my experience that does not work.
I lubricate it and drop it down from the stocking end so the small diameter end sticks out of the leadpipe.
Put the tool in a vise.
Heat the whole length of the leadpipe with a torch to crack the corrosion.
Then heat just the top end of the leadpipe enough to melt the solder.
Grab the slide tube (further down where it's not hot, obviously) and twist it off of the leadpipe.
If it doesn't come out, repeat the last 3 steps.
If it still doesn't come out, take it out of the vise and stick a long steel rod or slide mandrel down the stocking end.
Steel rod needs to fit loosely inside the leadpipe, and you have to be careful not to damage the leadpipe with it.
Melt the solder again and use the rod to tap against the back of the leadpipe tool.'
Repeated blows usually knock it loose. Then you can put it back in the vise and twist it out.
If it's particularly stubborn, I might go back to the penetrating oil and try again the next day.

And if that doesn't work, you can peel off the slide tube like a sardine can, as already mentioned.
Thanks ,Brad ! Thats very helpful ! 😁👍 Plan B is to buy a replacement pipe from You! 😉🤣👍👍

Return to “Modification & Repair”