Returning to trombone after a 20-yr hiatus

How and what to teach and learn.
malcalevak

Returning to trombone after a 20-yr hiatus

Post by malcalevak »

So I've been wanting to get back into playing my trombone after a nearly 20 year hiatus. I used to be pretty good, for a highschooler, but I've basically forgotten everything. I figured a good first step would be to do some maintenance, so I addressed that in the Maintenance forum, and now I'm coming here to get advice on how to get back into actually reading music and playing.

Sadly, I can't really afford lessons at the moment, so I'm looking more for stuff I could follow online.

I'm hopeful that at least some of it will start coming back to me with practice, but I'm at a bit of a loss on where to start. Does it make sense to just dig up some "beginner" lessons/guidance? Are there any resources specifically for someone who's lapsed? Any good websites or YouTube channels? I think/hope I still have most of the exercise books from back in the day, too.

What's everyone's advice for me?

I already took a look at the ACB website, and found a group to join after I'm up to speed - good to have a goal to strive for, at least. I'll also be going through the forums to read up on any posts for beginners, or people in a similar lapsed state.

Thanks!
Posaunus

Re: Returning to trombone after a 20-yr hiatus

Post by Posaunus »

Welcome back. As soon as you're ready (or even before), attend some sort of a group rehearsal (e.g., community concert band). There you're likely to find other comebackers. (I was one a few years ago.) Sit next to these folks and learn from them. Trombonists are generally pretty welcoming. Some may offer you additional help - perhaps even a few lessons. It will make your own comeback a lot more pleasurable!
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

I took 30 years off and recently started again. Before quitting I was a pro player in L.A. Doing the following, after two months back I'm pretty close to a professional level again. So with that personal experience for whatever it's worth, here is my recommendation.

1. Long tones. You might think this is boring, but it's the foundation for everything to come and will get you better the fastest.

2. Breathing. While playing those long tones, concentrate on your breathing. Breathe from your toes. Sit straight, shoulders back, deep breaths from your diaphragm, not from your upper chest. Push the air out with your diaphragm, not your chest.

3. Practice scales and arpeggios. Start very slowly, and increase speed incrementally as you perfect them at the slower speed. Make them smooth. Slow is smooth; smooth is fast.

4. Get the Rochut etude books. There are three of them. Get the first one and start at the beginning and play through them as you perfect them.

5. Get into a local band or orchestra. Posaunus has a great idea about finding a community concert band. There are no expectations in those bands and you'll find others who are just taking the horn back up like you. Plus you'll meet people, have fun, and find other playing opportunities.

6. Listen to trombone players you want to sound like. Study them. Transcribe their solos if you can, and practice them.

7. Play anywhere and everywhere you can. Take every opportunity. Do as wide a variety as you can. You'll get lots practice sight reading and you'll supercharge your comeback by pushing yourself beyond your comfort zone. And don't be afraid to fail. Failure is the only way we get better. "Play to failure" should be your mantra.

And finally...

8. Have no expectations. Just enjoy every note and enjoy the process. This is a wonderful thing you're doing, even if you feel you should be better than you are. Stay in the moment. The only thing in your universe is the bar you are playing right now. Be completely present, be humble, and be grateful that you can do this. In 6 months you're gonna be better than you were before, and in 2 years you'll be better than you ever thought you could be.

Welcome home. :)
BigFamilyBone

Post by BigFamilyBone »

Definitely appreciate this as well! Just found this forum from searching for similar things! Just found a local community concert band and decided, after 28 years of not playing, to pick it back up and start again. Good to see it’s not an uncommon thing and makes me much less nervous about showing up to my first rehearsal. 😃

Return to “Teaching & Learning”