Returning Player Looking for Some Advice

How and what to teach and learn.
jbtb

Returning Player Looking for Some Advice

Post by jbtb »

Hello everyone!

First time posting here, but I've enjoyed reading through many threads after finding this site a few weeks ago.

I'm hoping you all might be able to help steer me in the right direction. Back in high school I was a very enthusiastic player and actually entered my freshman year of college as a trombone performance major. I ultimately decided to switch my degree over to business at the end of the year due to numerous reasons.

15 years later, I'm now fortunate enough to be in a position where I have both the time and interest to start playing in earnest again. For several weeks I've been working on relearning the fundamentals. There's still a ways to go before reaching my prior playing level (looking at you endurance and upper register!), but things are progressing quicker than I anticipated.

So my question is, where can I go from here? I feel so out of the loop and disconnected from the music scene. I'd love to join a community orchestra or symphonic band at some point. Some groups allow players to send resumes or a summary of experience. But I doubt my all-state orchestra and youth symphony experience from the mid-2000s - followed by a 15 year gap - would warrant much interest.

I'd also like to begin taking private lessons once more. I live in the suburbs of Chicago so there is no shortage of excellent players in the area. Is it considered poor etiquette to send unsolicited emails inquiring about private lessons if someone lists their email address online? Should I contact local band directors instead?

Finally, please let me know any thoughts you all might have on the usefulness of potentially going back to school for a music degree as someone in his mid-30s. There are some great music schools in the Chicago area, but the cost and time commitment (esp. with 2 kids) almost seems prohibitively high. OTOH, it would really be nice to finally expand upon my previous music education. Plus, being connected to a music program would certainly open the door to playing opportunities.

Well, apologies for the novel-length post. Thanks everyone.
- Jake
BGuttman

Re: Returning Player Looking for Some Advice

Post by BGuttman »

Welcome back to the world of trombone!

I also returned from a long layoff (20 years in my case). Here are some answers based on my experience.

1. There are all kinds of levels of community bands. Some are high level or are very snooty and will require an audition. Other will take anybody who can "sorta" play. You can find ones near you by asking at the local music store, or checking the Community Band list online. Unfortunately the on-line list is not sorted geographically so you will have to go listing by listing looking at locations. I also found two community orchestras through newspaper ads. One actually had me audition by sitting in a rehearsal. When I didn't make a complete fool of myself they offered me chair, which I then occupied for some 36 years.

2. The local music schools offer private lessons with their staff. I was also told of a major player and teacher in the Boston area who gave me lessons for some 3 years. There are some members on this Chat near you who may be willing to take you on, depending on how full their teaching load is. One who comes to mind is Member JLivi. There are a few who give lessons over Skype or Zoom.

3. A degree in music might be nice for recreational education, but if you think you can break into the music business I want to warn you that there are a lot of very capable players competing with you for a very few jobs. I would recommend against music as a career change; If somehow you get a good job as a musician, only then would I suggest leaving your Day Job. Incidentally, you can often take courses part-time. Some Conservatories even offer courses in evenings.

Good luck.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

So my question is, where can I go from here? I feel so out of the loop and disconnected from the music scene.

Baby steps first.
Most community bands/orchestras are very friendly groups of amateur musicians who welcome newcomers.
Good places to meet like-minded people and get your feet wet again.
The Internet is your friend.
In about 30 seconds, I found this:
https://northshoreband.org/community-band-directory
jbtb

Post by jbtb »

Bruce - Thanks for the info, really appreciate it. I'll check out the music schools nearby and see if any offer lessons to the public.

And with regards to your 3rd point - I understand the professional music industry can be extremely competitive. That was actually one of the reasons I got cold feet about pursing performance as an undergrad. But I already left my corporate job a few years back to be a stay-at-home dad and am not necessarily looking to be a full-time professional musician. So yeah, I guess going back to school would be at least partially recreational as you put it. Probably would be better (and much cheaper!) to simply self-study and stick with private lessons.

CharlieB - Glad to hear most community groups are open and friendly. Thanks for that link. I had found most of those individually on google, but there were a few I hadn't come across yet. One of them looks to be exactly what I was hoping for...concert band, nearby, and no resume/experience screening.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

The Association of Concerts Bands has a "find-a-band" page that is geographically-based:
https://www.acbands.org/index.php?optio ... =2000854#/
Obviously, it only includes ACB member organizations...

Community orchestras (at least the ones in my part of the world) aren't necessarily good for recent re-entries, as they usually only have one on a part. You'd need to find an orchestra with an empty chair, and you'd have to be able to hit the ground running. OTOH, community bands usually have more than one on a part, so it's a little more forgiving as you get back up to speed.

You might look into a community college music program. My wife did that right after she retired; she was actually in a degree program, so she was taking classes (including lessons) and playing in the symphonic band. Might not work if you aren't available during the day, though.
dbwhitaker

Post by dbwhitaker »

I second the suggestion of looking into community colleges. I joined a community college big band shortly after returning from a 40 year layoff. One section member invited me to another band. Which lead to another invitation, and then another so that within a couple of years I became a regular in 4 bands.
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

When I first moved to this town i wasn't just starting to play again, but I did need to find places to play.

My solution was simple. Anyone I met that was musical found out that I happened to play trombone and was looking for a band that rehearsed regularly. Soon enough I had a spot in a decent big band.

If you don't think you'll bump into people just make up some business to go to the local music store ( buy some slide grease...) and then chat up the staff. Odds are someone there plays and could help you get connected.
jbtb

Post by jbtb »

Great idea about community colleges. Looks like my local one offers both ensembles and music courses. That hadn't even crossed my mind.

And I was already planning on going to the music shop this week, so I'll chat with them and see what their thoughts are.
Lamplighter

Post by Lamplighter »

I would not hesitate to contact the trombone professors of any nearby institutions. When I returned to the trombone after being off for many years, I came back and started playing bass trombone. I got a reply to my email within about 30 minutes and he was happy to take me on as a student. Since I'm not on any particular schedule or preparing for juries or recitals, we can go at a more relaxed pace and work on what is giving me the most problems at the time. I've made more progress in 8 months than I would have ever thought possible.
jbtb

Post by jbtb »

Lamplighter wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:19 pm I would not hesitate to contact the trombone professors of any nearby institutions. When I returned to the trombone after being off for many years, I came back and started playing bass trombone. I got a reply to my email within about 30 minutes and he was happy to take me on as a student. Since I'm not on any particular schedule or preparing for juries or recitals, we can go at a more relaxed pace and work on what is giving me the most problems at the time. I've made more progress in 8 months than I would have ever thought possible.
That's awesome to hear. There's a handful of nearby professors that I'd be more than happy to study with.
sf105

Post by sf105 »

Strongly agree.
Lamplighter wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:19 pm I would not hesitate to contact the trombone professors of any nearby institutions. When I returned to the trombone after being off for many years, I came back and started playing bass trombone. I got a reply to my email within about 30 minutes and he was happy to take me on as a student. Since I'm not on any particular schedule or preparing for juries or recitals, we can go at a more relaxed pace and work on what is giving me the most problems at the time. I've made more progress in 8 months than I would have ever thought possible.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”