Your favorite trombone education online?

Pictures, video, etc.
MStarke

Your favorite trombone education online?

Post by MStarke »

What are your favorite pieces of trombone-related education online? (Thinking mostly about videos)

Some that I enjoyed:
- Many of the Michael Davis interviews at Youtube (and also his paid material at hip bone u)
- Paid videos at mymusicmasterclass.com They currently seem to have some with Bill Reichenbach, Andy Martin and Francisco Torres. Fair pricing in my opinion
- The Phil Teele videos that someone uploaded at Youtube (search for Phil Teele-Advanced Embouchure Studies Day One)
- Many of the Brass Junkies videos have great pieces of advice in them (and are often hilarious overall)
- Bob Reeves Brass/Trombone Corner podcast or videos: Generally interesting, with quite some educational value
- 8vbebop videos at Youtube (with Chris Glassman). Again overall interesting videos, with good educational input
- Of course Aidan Ritchie's channel. Hidden between the equipment stuff there is quite a bit of interesting educational stuff, e.g. masterclass recaps
- Some (!) of the "Paul the trombonist" videos, e.g. a very interesting video with Alan Kaplan regarding trombone recording. (Overall not my favorite channel)
- Some other videos, excerpts from masterclasses etc also from other instruments

Some other sources that come to my mind:
- Jay Friedman's and Doug Yeo's websites
- David Brubeck's Seven Positions interviews
-
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
RustBeltBass

Re: Your favorite trombone education online?

Post by RustBeltBass »

Mr. Friedman’s articles on his website.
Trombonjon

Post by Trombonjon »

Favorite? Probably Toby Oft's videos. Also James Markey.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

RustBeltBass wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:33 am Mr. Friedman’s articles on his website.
Definitely, already had them in my list.
Markus Starke

Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Trombonjon wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:42 pm Favorite? Probably Toby Oft's videos. Also James Markey.
Absolutely! I also watched some of that before. Both are great musicians and educators.

Although I did have a few contrary thoughts (which may not be too relevant anyway), for example I really liked James Markey's video on the differences between bass, tenor and alto.
Markus Starke

Bleek

Post by Bleek »

This Peter Steiner warm up approach really hit the spot for me and changed my whole approach to warming up to a much more fluid, improvisatory and creative approach;

www.bengurton.com

Shires Marshall Gilkes
Shires TW25LW/TW47 Trubore 7YLW
Shires Q36YR
XO 1632
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

I joined Brad Edwards' email list for monthly deliveries of The Bone Zone. He always includes several etudes/exercises which are great along with some written content which is also excellent.

I also regularly revisit a few older videos on Alan Raph's YouTube channel. He's got one dedicated to low register attacks which I've found to be incredibly effective. I do it almost everyday now.
Briande

Post by Briande »

If you are jazz player Shawn Bell’s YouTube channel is really good!
I’m not a collector, I just have too many trombones….
King 2B. King 3B. King 3B+ w/F attachment and gold brass bell. King Duo Gravis. Getzen 1047FR. Conn 6H. Conn 48H.
Franco

Post by Franco »

The Trombone Retreat podcast is another great listen if you like podcasts.
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

Christian Lindberg's 2019 Tokyo Recital -

Watching this in relief to the Tchaikovsky Competition recordings was an entire education on its own terms.

Ian Bousfield's podcast also has a ton of good info.
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
Trombo

Post by Trombo »

I like this video of Alexey Lobikov, the winner of the Tchaikovsky Competition 2019:

harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

WilliamLang wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:46 pm Christian Lindberg's 2019 Tokyo Recital -

Watching this in relief to the Tchaikovsky Competition recordings was an entire education on its own terms.

Ian Bousfield's podcast also has a ton of good info.
I couldn't believe the show he put on in 2022. COVID was still a concern in Japan so it was unfortunately undersold and under-advertised, but my goodness it was a good show. Not a single piece from any of his recordings. All new pieces he either wrote or were newly arranged by Pontinen, the pianist and partner in crime.

He ended with an encore, a Swedish love song, some song called "Så skimrande var aldrig havet", for alto trombone alone. Just a simple melody. And I guess the last lyric goes:

"You drowned all my sorrows in your first kiss"

But on the last note, instead of playing it, he just blows a kiss to the audience. Whole place went absolutely nuts.
ParLawGod

Post by ParLawGod »

I really enjoy the Trombone Etude of the Week Facebook group. Although most videos aren't done by "big name" players, it is refreshing to hear other interpretations of etudes I've worked on over the years. Listening to others is very inspirational for me...and there are SO many wonderful trombonists in that group sharing their work.

Return to “Media”