Dave Slonaker big band

Pictures, video, etc.
Franco

Dave Slonaker big band

Post by Franco »

Hadn't heard of this group before (I'm probably out of touch) but I really like this chart. Killer personnel all around too

marccromme

Re: Dave Slonaker big band

Post by marccromme »

Nice chart. And lovely bass bone solo. Thanks for sharing!
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Thx. I did not know this band.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I’ve been listening to the band’s latest recoding for the past few days. State of the art contemporary LA trombone I thinks. Lots of bone solos, great section work. I’m taken by the guitar work as well.
dershem

Post by dershem »

Dave started out as a trombonist. I went to a live performance a while back and there were subs in the bone section. I had to put up with Alex Iles, Andy martin, Charlie Morillas and Bill Reichenbach as the trombone section! Oh I suffered SO much! (T be able to suffer than much every day!!!)
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

This scene of modern big band getting video studio recordings of tunes - I'm loving it. We need more of this around where I live, Detroit area. We have the musicians to do it, for sure.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Franco

Post by Franco »

dershem wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:13 am Dave started out as a trombonist. I went to a live performance a while back and there were subs in the bone section. I had to put up with Alex Iles, Andy martin, Charlie Morillas and Bill Reichenbach as the trombone section! Oh I suffered SO much! (T be able to suffer than much every day!!!)
Ha, must have been rough. Hope they managed to struggle through ok 😉
Chiptingle

Post by Chiptingle »

:good:
Last edited by Chiptingle on Fri May 19, 2023 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Bach5G wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:55 pm I’ve been listening to the band’s latest recording for the past few days. State of the art contemporary LA trombone I thinks. Lots of bone solos, great section work. I’m taken by the guitar work as well.
In case anyone's interested, the lineup for this recording session was:
Saxophones: Bob Sheppard, Brian Scanlon, Rob Lockart, Tom Luer, Jay Mason;
Trumpets: Wayne Bergeron, Ryan DeWeese, Clay Jenkins, Ron Stout;
Trombones: Alex Iles, Charlie Morillas, Ido Meshulam, Bill Reichenbach;
Piano: Ed Czach, Bass: Edwin Livingston, Drums: Peter Erskine, Percussion: Brian Kilgore.
No mention (or visible sign) of a guitarist in this track, though!
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Ido Meshulam is a new name for me.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Bach5G wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:48 pm Ido Meshulam is a new name for me.
Ido is a terrific trombonist and multi-instrumentalist, originally from Israel (where his father is a well known trombonist and composer). Since his arrival in Los Angeles ~10 years ago, he has made a big impact, becoming one of the top call players in the area. As you can hear from the Slonaker recordings, he's a fine jazz improviser. (He's the one with the heavy beard.)

https://www.csun.edu/mike-curb-arts-med ... o-Meshulam

Ido is a TromboneChat member and has posted here many times. :good:
afugate

Post by afugate »

I was blessed to see Ido perform last year at ITF. Terrific player and performance.
--Andy in OKC
IdoMeshulam

Post by IdoMeshulam »

Thank you all for the kind words! Playing with Dave is always a pleasure, terrific writer and the band is just fantastic! Btw, the guitar player on the record is Larry Koonse, he's an absolute monster.
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

I was thrilled to hear Ido on Dave's new album. He's a wonderful jazz player. I think he took Bob McChesney's place in the band, who is flashy and plays one of the best solos I've ever heard him play on the band's first album, but Ido has a musicality about his soloing that I truly love. He's such a joy to hear.

Also, Dave writes very well for trombones, and that makes it even more of a pleasure to listen to. Alex, of course, is a wonderful overall player and Bill is "the" studio bass trombonist these days, and solos better than most bass trombonists I've heard.
dershem

Post by dershem »

Franco wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:25 pm
dershem wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:13 am Dave started out as a trombonist. I went to a live performance a while back and there were subs in the bone section. I had to put up with Alex Iles, Andy martin, Charlie Morillas and Bill Reichenbach as the trombone section! Oh I suffered SO much! (T be able to suffer than much every day!!!)
Ha, must have been rough. Hope they managed to struggle through ok 😉
They did all right, I suppose. :D Of course I suffered too - I ended up sitting with Andy Martin's folks and his wife, and we had a great time.
Saw Dave's band more recently, and while there were some changes (Reichenbach has mostly retired now, and a guy named Ido was playing third, but damn - that section KICKS!) the band was still great. Performing live a lot more, too. If you get a chance, see them!
dershem

Post by dershem »

IdoMeshulam wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:15 am Thank you all for the kind words! Playing with Dave is always a pleasure, terrific writer and the band is just fantastic! Btw, the guitar player on the record is Larry Koonse, he's an absolute monster.
Everyone on the band is amazing, present company included.
dpursel73

Post by dpursel73 »

Wow, great chart and musicians!
KristianR

Post by KristianR »

This is very, very nice. And that's Bill Reichenbach sitting and playing right there! :-)
Cmillar

Post by Cmillar »

Yes! Thanks for posting this!

So great to hear some solos that really fit in the spirit of the music and compliment the chart.

Having fantastic musicians to start with really helps!

Gotta here some more of this band for sure.

Return to “Media”