Yamaha Silent Brass

Bach5G

Yamaha Silent Brass

Post by Bach5G »

I picked up an older version of Yamaha Silent Brass for $40 this morning. It looks like it’s hardly been used.

It seems to work pretty well and certainly better than most of the practice minutes I’ve had. Any tips, comments, or advice about how best to use this device?
Burgerbob

Re: Yamaha Silent Brass

Post by Burgerbob »

I just use mine as a practice mute. It's by far the best playing one I have found... it's just huge and heavy.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Bach5G wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:01 pm I picked up an older version of Yamaha Silent Brass for $40 this morning. It looks like it’s hardly been used.

It seems to work pretty well and certainly better than most of the practice minutes I’ve had. Any tips, comments, or advice about how best to use this device?
What I did with mine was to adjust the volume of the playback unit so the sound in my headphone (I replaced the earbuds with an old Sony Walkman headphone) was exactly as loud as the sound I got without the mute and without the headphones. This minimized the effort to compensate for the mute by overblowing.

You will have to play with the leads to get them so the mute doesn't get caught and get pulled out by them; or the earbuds.

The Yamaha Silent Brass is a good system. I used one when I was in a rehab facility recovering from surgery. My roommate found it no more disturbing than a TV on moderate volume.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
echoarcade28

Post by echoarcade28 »

I just got the newest version of Silent Brass and would say it is a big improvement in terms of back-pressure. It feels much more natural to play with less overblowing. I don't use the "audience" mode.

I also bought USB powered AA batteries on Amazon to function as an AC adapter since I always leave mine clipped to my stand anyway and have USB power nearby, and that works great. These adapters have about the same voltage as rechargeable batteries which the device does support.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I use rechargeable in mine and have it velcroed to a counterweight. I also velcroed a small Bluetooth receiver so I can pipe in drones and olayalongs without a third cable dangling about. The horn I have mine on also has velcro cord straps to do cable management. Looks goofy but gets the job done!

Return to “Accessories”