F-Attachment to Straight Bass

LorenzoAHolland

F-Attachment to Straight Bass

Post by LorenzoAHolland »

Greetings,

I’m looking to convert my f-attachment Conn 72H into a straight bass. Are there any goosenecks that would fit this size horn or is this a part that must be fabricated?

I’m also in search of a replacement 72H slide crook.

Thanks!
ithinknot

Re: F-Attachment to Straight Bass

Post by ithinknot »

Crook:
https://www.mkdrawing.com/product/tromb ... ds-nickel/ or the part from the modern 62H would be fine

Neckpipe:
Doubt it. The few 'straight bass' converter tapers are intended for modern modular basses that are significantly larger in the tuning slide than a 72H.

But - no offense intended - why bother? I can absolutely imagine someone sounding good on a 72H as a sort of Slide Hampton-esque Big Solo Horn, but the valve isn't stopping you from doing that. With the short bell section and extra-long slide, the balance and ergonomics might be pretty awful without the valve and wrap; you'd need a serious counterweight and that still won't fix the grip.

PS If you want a ready2go str8bass, burgerbob might have something in the stable perfect for you...
Burgerbob wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:33 pm .555 bore, no valves, 9" bell but the tapers through the tuning slide and bell make it MUCH more bass-like than tenor.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Haha yes, I do have a straight bass that is oddly good. It does take two counterweights to be useful, and by useful I mean I have found one use for it so far...
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

If I were considering something like this, I would want to make the horn modular so you could play it as a straight horn, a single vale and a double valve. I remember seeing a video of Charlie Vernon playing some Mahler songs on a Bass set up as a straight horn, and it sounded beautiful. That combo might sound nice on some Mozart or Beethoven works in the orchestra , as long as no valve notes are needed.

Jim Scott
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

The parts are out there, I know Shires has the gooseneck for sure.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I have one of the shires neckpipes. I like the way it plays. I’m use it for practicing to minimize weight sometimes but that’s effectively the end of its utility for me. With it being modular; it does make it easy to swap out.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Matt K wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:46 am I have one of the shires neckpipes. I like the way it plays. I’m use it for practicing to minimize weight sometimes but that’s effectively the end of its utility for me. With it being modular; it does make it easy to swap out.
Matt, A tech can buy the individual pipe sans assembly for relatively cheap. I have one sitting on my bench. Going to be used for a Bach 45 project in the near future.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

LIBrassCo wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:15 am
Matt K wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:46 am I have one of the shires neckpipes. I like the way it plays. I’m use it for practicing to minimize weight sometimes but that’s effectively the end of its utility for me. With it being modular; it does make it easy to swap out.
Matt, A tech can buy the individual pipe sans assembly for relatively cheap. I have one sitting on my bench. Going to be used for a Bach 45 project in the near future.
C’mon! I like having the only straight 45 out there…

I suppose only “factory” one will have to do.

Anyway, as noted above, they are fun to play, but limited utility.

Cheers,
Andy
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

elmsandr wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:24 am

C’mon! I like having the only straight 45 out there…

I suppose only “factory” one will have to do.

Anyway, as noted above, they are fun to play, but limited utility.

Cheers,
Andy
You're very safe Andy, this will be wildly different, I promise :lol:
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Yeah got mine used at a pretty reasonable price and probably have similar plans... or I guess I should say had similar plans. Unlikely to follow through with those at this point. Adding a counterweight to that bass valve on the bass w/ the valve section you built me solved what I perceived of as a weight issue. I had been using the valveless to practice but I've really don't had any issues since I added the C/W. Originally planning on using the parts to make a single valve.
LorenzoAHolland

Post by LorenzoAHolland »

Thanks guys. I’ll be looking into these suggestions.

Return to “Modification & Repair”