What mouthpiece would you recommend for….

glissezfantastico

What mouthpiece would you recommend for….

Post by glissezfantastico »

I am planning on picking up my King 5B again after many years of abstinence. I played a lot in my youth using a Bach 4G mouthpiece on orchestral first and second trombone parts (never bass). Is there a mouthpiece that might be better to get into the high register without sacrificing the tone in the middle and lower registers?
BGuttman

Re: What mouthpiece would you recommend for….

Post by BGuttman »

Really depends. I played plenty high on a 4G. You will need some time to work back into your groove, including rangebuilding. If you are absolutely determined to get a different mouthpiece, try a Faxx 6.5 AL (or find a used Bach one). It may work at first, but eventually you will want to go back to the 4G.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

glissezfantastico wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:17 pm Is there a mouthpiece that might be better [than Bach 4G] to get into the high register without sacrificing the tone in the middle and lower registers?
Yup. Lots of choices. TromboneChat members will be happy to "advise" you of their favorites. [I know I have mine.]

Good luck!
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

So many choices but I will jump in first and bang the drum for one in particular if you are keen to buy a new mouthpiece.

I was looking for something just a bit bigger on the face than a 5G and after some chatting with him, took forum member MStarke’s advice to try his MST Studio 5GD N. I had been looking for and trying things which on paper are closer to 4G size but the description “May feel a little bigger due to the rim profile.” caught my eye (and turned out to be 100% correct according to my perception).

https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com ... rge-shank/

I notice no degradation in sound in the lower register relative to a 4G and the mid to upper register is streets ahead for my chops, YMMV. I think a trial is possible by arrangement with MStarke or ordering via Thomann.

What’s good for one person isn’t necessarily good for another so I’d suggest try a few options, find the most promising and stick with it for a while, especially since you are returning to playing after a pause. Investment in one or two lessons might have more impact than hardware and never becomes a stranded asset, unlike the drawer full of discarded mouthpieces some of us possess.
Mr412

Post by Mr412 »

Don't rule out a 3G. Yes, it will sound mellow and maybe that isn't the sound you seek. But for me - on a vintage Conn Elkhart 88H, it's proving to be perfect for what I want to do. And although I thought the high range would be flattened, the opposite proved to be true. I can play higher on that set-up than I ever could on anything. Go figure.

I got the idea when I noticed the Jim Nova mouthpiece line uses a #3 rim on everything from soprano to contra. Works for him. Works for me. YMMV, of course.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Have a lesson with Doug Elliott, he will help you get your chops working efficiently and also help you understand what mouthpiece size is most efficient for your chop type.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

4G or 5G or similar size.
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

I use a 1 1/2G on my 5B. But I use mine as a bass.
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I would move to something 5G-ish in size. And see how you feel once your chops are in shape.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Perhaps I'm one of those "The grass is always greener" guys, but I don't think you should limit yourself to the Bach brand.
I've had more success (for my face and embouchure) with other manufacturers' products. :idk:
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

We are really talking size here. Bach rims are just well known.

6.5AL is equivalent to a Schilke 50, Hammond 13, Wick 6, or Yamaha 48
5G is equivalent to a Schilke or Yamaha 51, Wick 5, or Hammond 12
4G is equivalent to a Schilke or Yamaha 52, Wick 4, or Hammond 11
3G is equivalent to a Schilke 53 or Hammond 10.

These are all sizes that are commonly available for reasonable prices.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Mouthpieces”