Reynolds 8-A Trombone Mouthpiece

mrshahsmusic

Reynolds 8-A Trombone Mouthpiece

Post by mrshahsmusic »

Any guesses on the age of this mouthpiece? It came with a vintage LA Olds (c.1930s) I just acquired.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CnBeGgbyNrTHB8Uf6

Thanks!
Posaunus

Re: Reynolds 8-A Trombone Mouthpiece

Post by Posaunus »

1. Congratulations on your Olds "Bear" trombone. These are rare, and very cool.

2. I expect the mouthpiece is not a good match for this trombone. I had a Reynolds Contempora Model 35 trombone (Cleveland, 1958, 0.520" bore) that came with a Reynolds 8D mouthpiece similar to your 8A, so I expect yours is from that period (1950s).
The Reynolds trombone receivers of that era were "oversized" (slightly larger diameter than standard small-shank), and the 8A (and 8B, 8C, and 8D) pieces had correspondingly larger shanks so that they fit perfectly. On the other hand Olds trombones (at least from the 1940s to early 1970s) had "undersized" receivers, and mouthpieces had correspondingly narrower shanks for best fit. I'm willing to bet that (unless its shank has been shaved down) the Reynolds mouthpiece does not insert very far into the Olds receiver, and consequently won't play very well (intonation and slotting).
You'd be better off getting a properly sized mouthpiece (say an Olds 3) to use, and sell your 8A piece to a Reynolds trombone owner.
Last edited by Posaunus on Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrshahsmusic

Post by mrshahsmusic »

Great info, thanks for sharing all this. Super helpful.

No way I was putting my lips on that thing in its current state anyhow! When I went to try out the Olds "Bear", I used my Dennis Wick 12C and it actually felt like a pretty good fit. Glad I now know to be aware of those details, and that an Olds 3 would work well; I'm pretty sure this is the oldest horn I own now, so my knowledge is limited! I have a Pan American in my attic somewhere, also waiting to be fixed up, but can't remember what era it's from 🙃
spangy

Post by spangy »

I have a nice Olds 3 that I would be willing to trade for the Reynolds if your interested. The Olds 3 is just to small for me on my Recording. I also have an Reynolds Argenta with the slightly oversized receiver. It would be interesting to try the "correct " mouthpiece with it.

Return to “Mouthpieces”