Does a Shires or Edwards dual bore slide work on a Yamaha Xeno 822g?

musicofnote

Does a Shires or Edwards dual bore slide work on a Yamaha Xeno 822g?

Post by musicofnote »

Title says it all. Just curious if possible and ... if possible, what advantages might that bring to the 822g?

Thanks in advance...
Mostly:
Yamaha Xeno 822G with a Greg Black 1 3/8 medium or Wedge 110G Gen 2 (.300" throat)

Very seldom:
Rath R400 with a Wedge 4G

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it."
BoomtownRath

Re: Does a Shires or Edwards dual bore slide work on a Yamaha Xeno 822g?

Post by BoomtownRath »

I've succesfully coupled an edwards DB slide with my Bach bell though I suspect that the yamaha won't work. Imperial vs metric threads for a start on the retaining nut and as for the taper?

Hopefully someone could chime in who has tried it.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I used a YBL622 slide fit a Shires bell section a few years ago in a pinch. I recall it worked reasonably well. Yamaha slide parts are pretty reasonably priced and often quick if in stock so you may want to consider just getting a cork barrel and tenon (or maybe just tenon) and installing that. Or perhaps getting a 578 lower and installing on existing slide I suppose. That’s the approach I’d take if I wanted something similar to what you seem to be after.

Fwiw, I played the new Yamaha models and I too thought a 578 lower would have been a great fit.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I played my 613H with all 3 of my dual bores a bit. I did enjoy it that way. I think... the 822 also has a Bach connector, which means an Edwards will fit fine. Don't hold me to that though.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher

Return to “Modification & Repair”