Brace/grip options for Contempora bass

calcbone

Brace/grip options for Contempora bass

Post by calcbone »

So, I recently picked up a nice eBay find--a Reynolds Contempora bass (the infamous "stereophonic" 78-X/TO-01 with the bronze bell). It seems to be a good player, came with an aftermarket E-flat extension which can be pulled all the way out to D if desired, and has had the triggers modified to a modern split setup. It's currently at the shop having a little crease removed that occurred during shipping :roll: . Once that's taken care of, I may post a "NHD" thread over on the other board :idea:

On my other bass, I use an Ax Handle, which makes it very comfortable to hold and well-balanced with most of the weight sitting between my thumb and forefinger, as if I were playing a straight horn. The problem is that the Contempora, if you aren't familiar with the horn, does not have a main bell brace to attach something like an Ax Handle or Edwards Bullet Brace. The attached picture is from "Contempora Corner," but is similar to how mine is set up.
059942.jpg
I see that the Greenhoe Rest Bar is a similar device that attaches to the slide receiver, but am I correct in assuming it is no longer made? I have ordered a Curtis thumb rest (https://curtisfm.com/product/curtis-tro ... onate/128/) to test out the concept on this horn (it also attaches to the slide receiver, but is made of plastic). But, are any of you familiar with a similar product still being made that isn't plastic?

Thanks for any suggestions!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
=Tommy=
Trombone, stats, & precalculus

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Shires dual bore/Thayer/1G
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
Burgerbob

Re: Brace/grip options for Contempora bass

Post by Burgerbob »

Get-A-Grip or a strap would work, I think.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

If you put up a WTB for a Greenhoe, I can almost guarantee you'll be able to get one. I've had no problem acquiring one for all my valve sections over the years on the 2nd hand market.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

I got a pre-made neoprene flyfishing rod handle that had not been used. They have a hollow inside. I slit it about half way along its length and it fitted over the trigger tubing that comes out over your left hand and it was a perfect fit to allow the back of my hand to support the weight, just like a rath or similar support and it only cost me a couple of pounds. Just a thought anyway... Doug
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I used a Pip Grip on my 290 last night. Worked extremely well.
calcbone

Post by calcbone »

Thanks for the suggestions so far. If the plastic Curtis thumb rest seems to work, I’ll put out a WTB for the Greenhoe…

I’ve also made something like a Yamaha strap out of an extra shoelace in the past, so I may also try that again to see if that concept is the way to go.
=Tommy=

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
calcbone

Post by calcbone »

Bit of an update: I did make myself a “Yamaha” strap with a couple of shoelaces and a piece of felt :lol:

It works as proof of concept. Waiting for the Curtis plastic brace to arrive so that I can see which concept I like better…

Then, to get the ergonomics worked out. The trigger mods seem like a bit of a homebrew job, which would be OK except the second valve paddle hits way too high on my middle finger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
=Tommy=

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
conn88Hagmann

Post by conn88Hagmann »

Bach5G wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:51 pm I used a Pip Grip on my 290 last night. Worked extremely well.

Sorry I missed this!!

https://calderpipsmusic.com/trombone-grip

7C45F00D-13D6-4C59-9001-6C38A232C6E8.jpeg
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

The Curtis brace is not sturdy enough for bass. Mine broke in two months time.
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

Ditto on the Curtis brace ! Mine didn't last for long because of the weight of a double trigger bass. It is very much like a Greenhoe brace but nowhere as substantially built. I presently use a Greenhoe brace that works great especially with a bit of rubber tubing slipped over it to provide a non-slip grip. Even without being soldered to the horn and only using an aircraft strap it is solid and does not move. Using the strap also provides the possibility of relocating it easily. I once had a Conn 70H that had a Reynolds double trigger setup installed. I used a rubber block with a through-drilled hole that slipped over the "F" valve tubing that worked very well. It was a bit like a poor man's Rath support. Sorry I can't provide a picture. Good luck with your choice !
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

70H rubber block .jpg
" Sorry I can't provide a picture." ----- Well ---- it turns out that a former student of mine found an old advertisement that had a picture of my old 70H with the aforementioned "rubber block" attached to my old 70H with the Reynolds double trigger setup. For what it is worth -------- see the attachment.

Return to “Modification & Repair”