New Yamaha Bass Trombone Prototype

nopos

Re: New Yamaha Bass Trombone Prototype

Post by nopos »

YBL-835 behind the scenes | Thomas Lubitz interview https://youtu.be/ZxA5sDLa-7I

YBL-835 behind the scenes | Tomer Maschkowski interview https://youtu.be/yd8-Jo4cDr8
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

FWIW Yamahas seem to sell at MSRP within Japan. The latest Xeno tenor is on sale for around $6000 USD, or 800,000 JPY.
asmith

Post by asmith »

tbonesullivan wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:05 pm
asmith wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:15 am MAP is $5689.99
As per usual if someone is expecting you to pay MSRP for a Yamaha, then shop somewhere else that has it in stock.
If only it worked that way for cars during 2022. My bank account still hurts. Do they treat you like you just paid well over MSRP for a car? NOPE.
Ain't that the truth.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

nopos wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:34 am YBL-835 behind the scenes | Thomas Lubitz interview https://youtu.be/ZxA5sDLa-7I

YBL-835 behind the scenes | Tomer Maschkowski interview https://youtu.be/yd8-Jo4cDr8
Those are definitely some great videos. Hopefully with the changes they have made it'll become a popular horn, especially with the recent interest in trombones with cut bells. Hopefully someone already makes a case that will fit it perfectly, or makes one, because that's the only piece of the puzzle really missing from making it a great travel horn.

Will I think about trading in my 830 for one? Probably only if I notice a significant improvement for the playing I do.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Yeah I like my Shires cut bell case, it it’s still very boxy. The Marcus Bonna cases are pretty good and very compact albeit very expensive. Very interested in what the market comes up with. Always felt the two things that kept me from using a Chronkhite for basses, and generally, is 1) the 2nd paddle rests in the case of them and 2) on the standard style bags the bell is hard to get out and requires the slide to come out. A screw bell, travel case in a Chronkhite style would probably solve all of those problems
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I do agree that MSRP is silly, and I don't really understand the use of it myself.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:56 am I do agree that MSRP is silly, and I don't really understand the use of it myself.
To lie to the customer and say: well it goes for $xxxx but I will get it for you at $xxx. A way of “giving a discount” to the price you were going to sell it for in the first place.
This doesn’t work with educated buyers… but that really isn’t that many people honestly.
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

harrisonreed wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:23 am FWIW Yamahas seem to sell at MSRP within Japan. The latest Xeno tenor is on sale for around $6000 USD, or 800,000 JPY.
That is a scary price spike…

My 830 has MSRP of 500,000 JPY in 2016, and I even got 20% in-stock in-house discount to 400,000 JPY, that makes 432,000 JPY including tax (at that time 8%). It is crazy that a tenor has become much more expensive than even top-of-the-line bass like the 830 and 822G.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Luckily I'm in and out of New York so much I'll plan a trip to Yamaha and check one out.
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

I've recently seen a couple mentions of another new Yamaha bass model, the YBL-860. Has anyone seen one of those yet?
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

bassclef wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:40 am I've recently seen a couple mentions of another new Yamaha bass model, the YBL-860. Has anyone seen one of those yet?
Maybe a Japan Only version, or something geared more towards Europe? Have you heard anything about it aside from the model number?
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

tbonesullivan wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:16 am
bassclef wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:40 am I've recently seen a couple mentions of another new Yamaha bass model, the YBL-860. Has anyone seen one of those yet?
Maybe a Japan Only version, or something geared more towards Europe? Have you heard anything about it aside from the model number?
Only that's it's going to be available to demo at the event Virtuosity Boston is having later this month alongside the 835. I am debating on whether or not to head out there from Ohio that day...they are going to have a few of my favorite players there as well: Chris Glassman, Gina Benalcazar and Austin Sencalar (his new routing book is great). All students of Micheal Dease from MSU, if I'm not mistaken.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

bassclef wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:38 am Only that's it's going to be available to demo at the event Virtuosity Boston is having later this month alongside the 835. I am debating on whether or not to head out there from Ohio that day...they are going to have a few of my favorite players there as well: Chris Glassman, Gina Benalcazar and Austin Sencalar (his new routing book is great). All students of Micheal Dease from MSU, if I'm not mistaken.
I may have to check it out, though it definitely would be a drive. The Facebook event mentions that "The NEW 835D and 850D Basses will be available to try!" so now I'm even more confused. I almost want to message / comment asking if the "850D" is a typo.
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

tbonesullivan wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:53 am
bassclef wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:38 am Only that's it's going to be available to demo at the event Virtuosity Boston is having later this month alongside the 835. I am debating on whether or not to head out there from Ohio that day...they are going to have a few of my favorite players there as well: Chris Glassman, Gina Benalcazar and Austin Sencalar (his new routing book is great). All students of Micheal Dease from MSU, if I'm not mistaken.
I may have to check it out, though it definitely would be a drive. The Facebook event mentions that "The NEW 835D and 850D Basses will be available to try!" so now I'm even more confused. I almost want to message / comment asking if the "850D" is a typo.
That's what I meant to ask above. I just double checked that event, "860" was a typo on my part at least!
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

835D with standard uncut bell: $9000
835D with cut bell: $9300

Maybe these are MSRP prices.
Last edited by WGWTR180 on Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I played the new horns at ITF.

The 835? Nothing set it apart from a mode of the road 830 from what I could tell. Still that hole in the sound, uninspiring to play.

835D with cut bell? Way, way, way better. A sea change. Massive difference in blow, response, sound. I would happily play one of these if given to me. Would I choose it over some of the competition? Maybe for cheap, but I'm sure they'll be as much as the other top dogs at market price.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

bassclef wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:59 amThat's what I meant to ask above. I just double checked that event, "860" was a typo on my part at least!
I actually asked about the "850D" on their facebook post, and currently there is no response, but I swear earlier they said something like "wait and seee" or something. Guess we'll need to wait until next Saturday, but I seriously doubt that Yamaha would have held off at ITF if they had another bass in the works.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

tbonesullivan wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:41 am
bassclef wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:59 amThat's what I meant to ask above. I just double checked that event, "860" was a typo on my part at least!
I actually asked about the "850D" on their facebook post, and currently there is no response, but I swear earlier they said something like "wait and seee" or something. Guess we'll need to wait until next Saturday, but I seriously doubt that Yamaha would have held off at ITF if they had another bass in the works.
Well the 835D is what’s out there now as a replacement for the 830.
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

tbonesullivan wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:41 am
Yep, I'm pretty sure the response you're referring to was the one they made to me asking the same question around the same day I made the post(s) above.

I thought the very same thing about the potential existence of the 850D & ITF.

Yamaha's Product Manager joined the forum a while back (username: JGoldBone), but he hasn't been around for a couple months.
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

The Yamaha part list search system has already been updated to include the 835 series. The differences, indecated by different part number from those of the 830, are:

- Tuning slide material (the design is the same)
- Leadpipe
- Trigger group (linkage, paddle and lever)
- Rotor core and cap
- Handrest
- Neckpipe
- Obviously the gold brass bell and cut bells (the uncut yellow brass bell still uses the same part number. That makes me think that the uncut gold brass bell is also identical to the 830, just different material).

So all of the changes are listed on the website, no more and no less.

I am ordering the gold brass tuning slide to use with my YBL-830. Should be drop-in fit.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

sirisobhakya wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:57 am The Yamaha part list search system has already been updated to include the 835 series. The differences, indecated by different part number from those of the 830, are:

- Leadpipe
- Rotor core and cap
- Handrest
- Neckpipe
- Obviously the gold brass bell and cut bells (the uncut yellow brass bell still uses the same part number. That makes me think that the uncut gold brass bell is also identical to the 830, just different material).

I am ordering the gold brass tuning slide to use with my YBL-830. Should be drop-in fit.
I seem to remember someone mentioning that there was an unlisted option on the 830 for the gold brass tuning slide, and the 830 did have a listed gold brass bell as an option. It is kinda interesting that while the bell on the 835 is listed as "BL830 BELL BUFF", the part number itself is different (D9D30500 vs WR964100).

Also, while the part numbers are different, both have the gooseneck listed as "GOOSE NECK YBL813UG". The tuning slide is listed as "BL613H MAIN SLIDE ASS'Y GB C.LAC "
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

tbonesullivan wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:15 am
sirisobhakya wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:57 am The Yamaha part list search system has already been updated to include the 835 series. The differences, indecated by different part number from those of the 830, are:

- Leadpipe
- Rotor core and cap
- Handrest
- Neckpipe

I seem to remember someone mentioning that there was an unlisted option on the 830 for the gold brass tuning slide, and the 830 did have a listed gold brass bell as an option. It is kinda interesting that while the bell on the 835 is listed as "BL830 BELL BUFF", the part number itself is different (D9D30500 vs WR964100).

Also, while the part numbers are different, both have the gooseneck listed as "GOOSE NECK YBL813UG". The tuning slide is listed as "BL613H MAIN SLIDE ASS'Y GB C.LAC "
There is an option to change the materials of most of the parts (bell, tuning slide, outer slide) in the catalogue, at least the Japanese one. It is marked as “special order - has to wait 4-5 months” though.

Also, if you want to order part only (not an entire horn) the process and waiting time can be longer and much more complicated than that. I tried to order the gold brass tuning slide since January and have not gotten the part still.

For the part number, I think Yamaha only revamped the numbering system since many other parts also have new number while the part names stay the same.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand

Return to “Instruments”