large tenor help

Bassbonetyler

large tenor help

Post by Bassbonetyler »

TLDR: looking for a tenor piece that I'm more comfy playing

So,
I've been searching for a good large tenor piece for a while. I got a DW 4AL heritage about a year ago now, and i find it to be very close to the right size rim, but the rim shape has been a bit of an issue. Because of the flatter rim and sharp 'bite' or inner rim, I tended to get some pain after playing for a while. I recently revisited the piece after mostly playing bass for a while on my Schilke 60 then my DE piece, and I notice that the effect isn't as bad because I have almost fixed my problem of excess mouthpiece pressure. After a long practice session on it, I'm still noticing the same effect from the inner rim and I'm likely to do a little more tenor playing here pretty quick.

Here I'll go through a quick list of the pieces I've played on for tenor, how I liked them, and what I didn't like/had problems with.
  • DW 0AL heavytop - had the sound I was looking for, possibly even a little too full, dark, and dare I say heavy for my tenor concept now. Can't tell if I loved the rim shape or it was just because of the wider diameter.
  • DW 4AL heritage - good depth, good size, bad shape. gave me the sound I wanted for the most part, albeit a little airy (Which I've noticed while playing DW pieces almost exclusively). Tended to be a little tight down in the trigger register, but that might've just been the horn. Rim shape hurt as mentioned above.
  • 51D Gold Rim - Great piece, but a little small for me. I'll be very familiar with this this summer, so opinions might change. Good depth, not wide enough a rim. Fairly good rim shape, probably a 8/10 now that I've worked through the pressing for the most part.
  • 5G - good, but a little shallow. The piece that came w/ my large tenor, so I used it for a hot second before moving to the 4AL, then the 0AL.
  • 6.5AL (small shank) - haven't done any serious playing on this, as I dont have a nice small shank horn and I don't play anything but my bass normally. too small a rim, a little too shallow for what I was using it for. I played a YEP - 321S and a JSL 536 on this, but didn't have any problem as I wasn't doing any higher level playing.
What I've looked into so far - I have of course considered DE for this, and I've chatted with him about it a little, but I kinda don't want to spend the 250$ for something I'll play once a week or less. I've looked into Greg Black, and I'm still a little confused there. I've also considered looking for a bach corps. 4G or 3G, but I haven't gotten around to it. Also, pickett and some other brands - haven't looked much, but I know they're out there.

Can someone help me find the tenor piece I'm looking for?
~ 25.9 - 26 mm rim, especially on the rounder side, moderately deep to deep cup, gold rim preferred.

I'm playing on a YSL-882GO, and I'm looking for a good orchestral sound, dark and full, but not as much so as I typically get on my bass. I play a 613G with a DE LB 112GP, K, K8 most of the time.
BGuttman

Re: large tenor help

Post by BGuttman »

The DW 0AL is a bass trombone mouthpiece. I assume that's what you used on your bass at one time.

If you like the 4AL, there are other mouthpieces of that size to look at:

Schilke 52
Yamaha 57
Conn CL 4
Bach 4G

These all have different shaped rims and sell for a lot less than a DE setup.

Maybe you can find a DE LB 102G/G8 used for a more reasonable price.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

Try a Schilke 52e2. Deep rounded rim in the size you want
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

If you like the general playing of the DW 4AL, you could like our MST Studio 4 AL N even more. It is quite close in the inner dimensions, but the rim shape is much more comfortable for many players and we have a different outer design and weight distribution, which at least to some players makes it a bit more stable and present in the way it responds and sounds.

However generally I hesitate recommending it for trombone - in my opinion it is however a great (!) euphonium mouthpiece.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I probably have some used parts in the size range you're talking about, that I would sell for half price.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Bassbonetyler

Post by Bassbonetyler »

BGuttman wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:19 pm The DW 0AL is a bass trombone mouthpiece. I assume that's what you used on your bass at one time.
Actually, I used it on my tenor more than bass. I got it about 3 months before my bass, and I had just started playing in a collegiate-level community band on third bone part. I liked the sounds it could make at the time until not long after I did get my bass when I came to the realization that I'd been wrong about my sound concept. I like a little more compact sound on tenor now, as if sitting on top of the section instead of being the foundation. Hardly even touched the 0AL once I had my 60 though - I don't know what it was, but it didn't mesh as well with my bass and the slotting was different than what I was used to. The horn played very nicely with the 60, and it plays even better on my DE piece now.
Tyler
Bassbonetyler

Post by Bassbonetyler »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:39 pm I probably have some used parts in the size range you're talking about, that I would sell for half price.
PMed
Tyler
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

In case the used parts from DE don’t work out, there are two pieces I tried when I went through a phase of looking for a larger-than-5G tenor phase with broadly similar requirements to yours:

Faxx 4G: Astonishing value, based on a classic 4G design and well made.

Marcinkiewicz 3: Sort of in between a bass and tenor piece, was described to my by Graham from Marc. as being essentially their old GR rim with a more tenor shaped cup.

I ended up on something a slightly smaller than those two on paper but that feels a bit bigger than a Bach 5G to me, (the MST 5GD N).
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Why not try a 4AL non-Heritage? The Heritage series have a very different (and IMO worse) rim shape from regular Wicks.
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

spencercarran wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:14 am Why not try a 4AL non-Heritage? The Heritage series have a very different (and IMO worse) rim shape from regular Wicks.
Even the classic Wick rim shape is fairly flat with a defined inner bite. As has been said many times, it's a love it or hate it shape. This might not be the direction the OP is looking to go.

The OP could try, along with what's been suggested here, a Schilke 52D or Symphony D5.2, possibly a D5.3. Though (most) Schilke standard rims have a decent bite, the contour is more rounded than Wick pieces. The Symphony series pieces are more expensive than standard.

But it would be best, I think, to find someone with a Bach 4G to start, which definitely has a more rounded rim than any Wick. It's also in between the 5G and the 4AL (really a euphonium mouthpiece) in depth.
modelerdc wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:44 pm Try a Schilke 52e2. Deep rounded rim in the size you want
I think the 52E2 is going to be too deep; it's designed for euphonium and deeper than the 4AL, per Doug's comparison charts. The OP has also changed their sound concept since their 0AL days.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino, Perantucci PT-84-S
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
JMudge

Post by JMudge »

Griego Classic series - NY 4…..possibly Nouveau blank if you want lighter. I always come back to the NY 4 regardless of anything else I try.

Griego Artist series - 55……Maybe ? I don’t have any experience on it, so I can’t speak to it. Is in your size range and has some good reviews.

Ultimate Brass - 4, 4.1, or SMP. Probably others that I’m leaving out. Shameless plug…..I’ll sell a 4 if you’re interested.

Hammond - 11 series….

Hope some of this helps.

J
pjanda1

Post by pjanda1 »

If the 5G rim width is good but the cup is shallow, a good old Schilke 51 might be right. It will probably feel (and be) a tiny big wider than the 5G and a bit (more than a tiny bit) deeper. It won't be as deep as the 51D, but the inner rim diameter will also be significantly larger. There is a reason this is an old standard.

As suggested above, maybe a 52E2 if you want a really deep cup (4AL deep). I don't like a 52 for anything. The smaller throat and backbore combo just don't work for me. I have a 52E2 that sounds good on euph. For me, it isn't a trombone mouthpiece.

With any old/used Schilke, try a few. Every 51 you try will be a bit different.

I agree with J's suggestion of Hammond. The Schilke 51 cup shape can sound a bit "tubby" (my words, or I think Sabutin described it has "hooty"). A Hammond 12ML fixes that and is all around more even sounding. Some like 12Ls--I haven't tried one. If you want something bigger, 10 or 11 series.

I like the Griego recommendation too. I played a 4.5 for a long time. I like my 12ML more. And if a 4G rim shape works (too round for me), you can't beat a Faxx for value.

Paul

Return to “Mouthpieces”