Carl Lenthe students please read

Have an idea for improving the forum? Share it here.
Kbiggs

Carl Lenthe students please read

Post by Kbiggs »

I’m not a student of Carl Lenthe. I saw this link on my FB feed and thought that any of Carl’s students here on TC might be interested in a survey regarding retirement celebration plans.

https://qqz9lsgsp.supersurvey.com/
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Finetales

Re: Carl Lenthe students please read

Post by Finetales »

I filled it out! I studied with Carl in my undergrad.

People who didn't go to IU won't know, but the suggestion on the survey of doing a big remote recording of Peace on Earth would be the perfect tribute. Until recently the IU trombone studios would do a big "Audition Eve" concert the night before each audition weekend where high school trombonists would come to audition for IU (usually 3 per year). The concerts would be either faculty solos, student solos, or student ensembles, and all the auditioners plus most IU trombonists would be there. At the end of the concert, everyone was invited to get out their trombone and play a mass choir reading of a beautiful arrangement of Let There Be Peace on Earth, conducted by Carl Lenthe. I think I only had to miss 2 or 3 Audition Eves during my 7 years in Bloomington, and playing in the mass choir at the end each time is one of my fondest memories from my time there.
patbone

Re: Carl Lenthe students please read

Post by patbone »

As a current IU student, I am so thankful for even the 2 years that I've had to work with Carl. Mainly as my trombone quartet coach, and also in the trombone choir. He will be missed!

PA

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”