Holton 156 slide

bassbone1993

Holton 156 slide

Post by bassbone1993 »

Hey all!

I'm wondering if any techs on the forum here know if it would be possible to build a slide that's roughly close to the Holton 156? I know it has a wonky lower leg bore (.559") I think, which may make things tricky.

Thanks!
ithinknot

Re: Holton 156 slide

Post by ithinknot »

Sure - just build a .547/.562" in the appropriate materials + oversleeves with a Bach 50-style crook and one of Brad Close's 156 leadpipes.

The .003" difference is going to be less consequential than the difference between leadpipes, or tube wall thicknesses and stocking fits that differ from OEM...

If it's for a 156 bell section, good luck matching the tenon taper and threading - I don't think it's the same as anyone else's, so you might need it custom made.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

You might find it more economical to get a Conn sl4762 or buy a Holton TR159, which you can usually find cheap. The 159 should have a very similar if not identical slide. I got one for $450 in good shape. Building the slide from parts will be expensive. There are some Olds slides that come close to those specs too, and come on horns that typically sell cheap (like the S-20 I think, but you'll have to research that).
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Holton slides have nickel outer tubes, with a yellow brass crook.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

My 156 is the single bore variety. I ordered Holton tubes and got some that were the wrong part entirely, and others that were in poor condition, very tarnished. I sent them back and just ordered Bach tubes instead. I think the horn plays just as well as it did with the original tubes. Plus, I don't think those .559 tubes are available anymore. If it were me, I would go with Bach tubes and use .562 on the lower leg as ithinknot suggested.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Allied lists a slide reciever for the TR150. Should be thesame taper, no?
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Brad,
I’m not sure that all of the TR150 parts that Allied has listed in their catalog are still available. For example, I bought a TR150 red brass bell from them about four years ago. At that time, they indicated that there was only one more bell left after mine and there were very limited numbers of several other parts listed for the TR150 at that time.

That’s always the catch with Allied……the catalog looks very complete, but parts for many models are already obsolete and we will not know that they are not available until the printing of the next big catalog (every 4 or 5 years).

I have a rebuilt dual-bore TR256 (same as 156 with screw bell) and I used Bach parts for the slide tenon and slide receiver on the bell section.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:31 am Brad,
I’m not sure that all of the TR150 parts that Allied has listed in their catalog are still available. For example, I bought a TR150 red brass bell from them about four years ago. At that time, they indicated that there was only one more bell left after mine and there were very limited numbers of several other parts listed for the TR150 at that time.

That’s always the catch with Allied……the catalog looks very complete, but parts for many models are already obsolete and we will not know that they are not available until the printing of the next big catalog (every 4 or 5 years).

I have a rebuilt dual-bore TR256 (same as 156 with screw bell) and I used Bach parts for the slide tenon and slide receiver on the bell section.
Yes, I would definitely call them first to see if it's in stock before ordering any NOS parts. And like you said, the backup plan would be to replace both the slide and bell receivers.

Return to “Modification & Repair”