RIP Guido Basso

Discuss the people that make the music here.
Doug Elliott

RIP Guido Basso

Post by Doug Elliott »

"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Cmillar

Re: RIP Guido Basso

Post by Cmillar »

Sad to hear.

For anybody growing up in Canada from the 1960's through the 80's, the sound of Basso and his fellow musicians in Toronto (which were basically the members of the 'Boss Brass' big band with the likes of Moe Koffman, Terry Clark, Ian McDougall, Arnie Chycoski, etc. etc.) were 'in our ears' all the time.

They did all the national TV work with CBC for all the live music shows happening all the time (like....all the time!) and showed up in all the cities, towns, in the touring industrial show/convention bands that 'the rest of us' got to play in who happened to live outside of Toronto. We got to meet and play with people like Basso and others that inspired everyone and kept the musical standards very high all across the country, and when some of us got to actually live in Toronto and play with these people it was like getting called up to play in the NHL!

What a sound. His flugelhorn playing is 'the standard'.

RIP.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Bummer. I remember growing up listening to some of his playing. My oldest brother was a trumpet player in high school and, for a time, a big jazz fan. He had a large-ish LP collection, and even had a jazz radio broadcast at college. He had a lot of trumpet and flugel soloists: Guido, Clark Terry, Hugh Masekela, Freddie Hubbard, Lee Morgan, Art Farmer—all greats, now gone.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Also featuring trombonist Teddy Roderman and Rob McConnell as the arranger.

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

AndrewMeronek wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:02 pm Also featuring trombonist Teddy Roderman and Rob McConnell as the arranger.

Quick clip of Ed Bickert on guitar.

Return to “Musicians”