Ultimate Brass George Curran Artist Model Mouthpiece

martinong

Ultimate Brass George Curran Artist Model Mouthpiece

Post by martinong »

Anyone tried the George Curran Mouthpieces from Ultimate Brass yet? If do, how did they feel?
Burgerbob

Re: Ultimate Brass George Curran Artist Model Mouthpiece

Post by Burgerbob »

Big. I had the orchestral for a bit. The rim felt a bit smaller than my 1G, but it seemed even deeper and had the larger .316 throat as well. It wasn't bad by any means but it was even less efficient than the Greg Black I was on. If you're well over 6 feet with monster chops and you play a Shires... Might be just for you.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:37 pm Big. I had the orchestral for a bit. The rim felt a bit smaller than my 1G, but it seemed even deeper and had the larger .316 throat as well. It wasn't bad by any means but it was even less efficient than the Greg Black I was on. If you're well over 6 feet with monster chops and you play a Shires... Might be just for you.
I guess it wouldn't work for me. I'm only 5'6" :weep:
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I'm a bit over 6 feet, but I don't have monster chops and giant lungs. I've been working a lot on air control but still .315 and larger is just too big for me. My low range also doesn't speak as well.

Honestly, not everyone plays best with a huge throat. It's like people who think that all engines will work best without any back pressure from the exhaust. NOPE.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I tried the Curran Model for several days. I thought the rim felt comfortable and I was able to get a great sound. Just didn’t have the lung capacity to handle that .316 inch throat!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

George loves it!
JasonDonnelly

Post by JasonDonnelly »

Very similar to a Black 1 1/8G in a lot of ways. Definitely a deeper cup as burgerbob describes. For my money, I found the sound really appealing when I was "dialed in," but it was not a very forgiving piece. Some of my colleagues sound a lot better on it than I did, though.
University of Miami - BM Euphonium Performance 21'
Indiana University - MM Bass Trombone and Euphonium 24'

Courtois 551BHRA
Besson Prestige 2052S
Conn 88HSCL
Kuhnl and Hoyer Slokar Alto (Eb/Bb)

Various Greg Black mouthpieces
Thelonious

Post by Thelonious »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:37 pm (...) If you're well over 6 feet with monster chops and you play a Shires... Might be just for you.
Can you elaborate on this? Specifically the link to Shires.

Btw, thanks for your videos they are great :good:
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Thelonious wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:34 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:37 pm (...) If you're well over 6 feet with monster chops and you play a Shires... Might be just for you.

The big dual bores Shires setups with axials seem like they might be air hogs and inefficient, but they are pretty much as easy to play as they can be with those specs. This means you can play them relatively easily (especially if you are an orchestral pro doing nothing else) with really big, deep, open mouthpieces.

Those same mouthpieces might work much worse in other instruments that are made with a different playing and sound concept.
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:41 pm
Thelonious wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:34 pm

The big dual bores Shires setups with axials seem like they might be air hogs and inefficient, but they are pretty much as easy to play as they can be with those specs. This means you can play them relatively easily (especially if you are an orchestral pro doing nothing else) with really big, deep, open mouthpieces.

Those same mouthpieces might work much worse in other instruments that are made with a different playing and sound concept.
That matches my personal experiences although I didn’t try any ultimate pieces yet. The Instrument I play at work is a Shires Curran with axials and a dual bore slide and it works best with mouthpieces that size and then it is actually *really* easy to play.

Same goes for edwards with shires axials and a single bore slide.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

RustBeltBass wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:29 pm

That matches my personal experiences although I didn’t try any ultimate pieces yet. The Instrument I play at work is a Shires Curran with axials and a dual bore slide and it works best with mouthpieces that size and then it is actually *really* easy to play.
Yup... I played a really stellar Curran model at NAMM 2020 with my 1G .312 #2. I don't play that size anymore but that feeling still haunts me sometimes. One of the best sounding, easiest experiences I can remember.
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

Fwiw, I’ve heard George play a number of horns and he sounds great on all of them. It’s not just the tech, it’s also the player. He also uses a 3L leadpipe instead of the standard as well for all of those who are real curious about gear. I’ve had the opportunity to play his horn in a lesson right after I got my cut bell, crazy efficient and crazy good, best shires I’ve every played.

Shires seem to ring really well with Ultimate or GB pieces, they seem to help center the horn and it give more core to the sound.
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

BigBadandBass wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:45 pm Fwiw, I’ve heard George play a number of horns and he sounds great on all of them. It’s not just the tech, it’s also the player.
Ha ! None of us were aware of that, thank you !
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

RustBeltBass wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:33 pm
BigBadandBass wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:45 pm Fwiw, I’ve heard George play a number of horns and he sounds great on all of them. It’s not just the tech, it’s also the player.
Ha ! None of us were aware of that, thank you !
:lol: :D

Return to “Mouthpieces”