Opinions on best case for flying

johntarr

Opinions on best case for flying

Post by johntarr »

Hello,

I know this has been discussed but I also know that conditions have changed. What would be the best way to fly to Europe with a straight tenor? My plan is to carry the instrument but want to have a back up if they refuse to let me carry on the plane. I have an MB case at home already so I’m also not looking to spend a fortune. Shipping is very expensive and slow so I figure that buying a case will be cheaper and hopefully safer.

Many thanks for any advice,

John
Matt K
Verified

Re: Opinions on best case for flying

Post by Matt K »

I've travelled around Europe with a MB and an SKB462. Sometimes they let me put it overhead even though obviously neither of those cases are anywhere near appropriately sized for overhead. Sometimes, overhead was totally full and I had to check. I believe the SKB462 was what I had to check and it obviously was quite okay.
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

MB cases are great for the flight to Europe (assuming from the states?). I do the flight a lot. Currently with the MB cut bell tenor, but have done it a good bit with the MB alto/tenor, Bags double case, and the Eastman case (if you're gonna buy a new one, those aren't bad). Obviously the screwbell is easiest, but I've not had to put my horn under with the other cases on any intercontinental flight, yet.

The big thing is just not getting the cheapest possible ticket and researching the airline's specific boarding procedure ahead of time. Pay a bit extra to get on the planet earlier- it's always worth it cause there will be space.

I've heard complicated things about British and Turkish airlines, so I avoid them. Generally speaking just do what you can to let them think you have a violin and they let you right on. 😂

A good safety thing if just to put a practice mute in your bell and extra clothes to fill up the negative space of the case so things can't shift around if you do have to check it. Good luck! I generally have a lot less issue with horns in Europe then here, especially the back and forth flight.
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Buy a case you can sell when you get there.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

SKB 360. I just flew with mine to Finland, and I've flown around the US with it as well.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Getting your horn on board is pretty "iffy" in Canada as well. If the flight is full (most of the time these days) forget about it. I've gone back to using a Cronkite bag inside a SKB Golf case. Protective case that is light, and you can leave the case where you're staying and just carry the horn in the gig bag if you're playing.

Two downsides - 1. the golf case's shape is long (tall?) which makes it cumbersome for small cars and narrow stairways. 2. I always worry about the TSA not repacking everything correctly if they open it up - I use extra foam to make sure nothing can move within the case.

Jim Scott
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I have flown using an SKB golf case and it worked well. I don't really trust the latches so I used a strap around the whole thing. When I went through customs the agent asked "golf?" and I just nodded.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
johntarr

Post by johntarr »

Thanks for all the input!

The main reason I decided against the golf case option is that Lufthansa now charges $275 for checking a golf bag. In 2019, just before the pandemic, I flew with one for free on Iceland Air. My plan is to use an SKB case and hope to carry it on but feel reasonably secure if I have to gate check it.

Best to all,

John
slidefunk

Post by slidefunk »

I've gate checked my tenor in a Protec ProPac 306CT quite a bit and never had issues. Fits in larger overheads. It is a little heavy but you can get backpack straps for it. Just put a small hand towel over the bell when you close it up to protect it from the end of the slide.
johntarr

Post by johntarr »

Just to follow up, I used the larger SBK case, thinking that it would be more versatile and possibly easier to sell once I got back. It was also packed so that (hopefully) my instrument would survive being checked. For additional security, I put a belt around the case because it seems like the latches open too easily.

I followed mbarbier’s advice and paid for priority boarding. As I boarded, one of the attendants asked me what I was doing with the trombone and I politely said that it will fit and that was fine. All in all, buying the case and paying the extra was less expensive than shipping, which, by the way come with the additional VAT here in Sweden.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and happy new year,

John

Return to “Accessories”