World Cup 2022

Spin your yarns here.
Bach5G

World Cup 2022

Post by Bach5G »

Despite, well, despite a LOT of things - FIFA venality, alleged corruption, corporate greed, cruel exploitation of foreign workers and the improbability of a soccer tournament in one of the hottest deserts on the planet, and despite years of predictions it would never happen- the Qatar 2022 World Cup is here. Predictably, there were allegations that Qatar had bribed members of the Ecuador team, its opening match opponents, but, if true, it hasn’t been money well spent, with Ecuador up 2-0, with a goal called back on VAR, early in the second half.

For the first time in 36 years, Canada has a dog in the fight, having qualified first in its group, ahead of Mexico and the USA. The USA is back after failing to qualify in 2018. It may not get out of the opening round IMHO. Mexico is always competitive.

I wonder if this tournament is more wide open than usual. Italy failed to qualify. None of England, Germany, or Belgium appears to be in particularly good form. People are talking up Argentina but then people are always talking up Argentina and Messi hasn’t got any younger (I thought he had retired from international football?). And then there’s always Brazil. Will this be the tournament where Africa finally breaks through?

I recently heard an interview with a Newcastle fan who was asked for his thoughts about the Saudis buying his team. “I’m only here for the football,” he said. That pretty much sums up how I feel about this Qatar tournament. I’m only here for the football. Allez Le Rouge!

Ecuador wins 2-0. First time the host nation has lost its opening game.

I might not be getting much practicing in for the next month.
robcat2075

Re: World Cup 2022

Post by robcat2075 »

Q: What does a Saudi get for buying an English team?

While the revenue can be huge, the costs are as well.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

robcat2075 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:52 am Q: What does a Saudi get for buying an English team?

While the revenue can be huge, the costs are as well.
You’d have to ask the Saudis. What did they get for the $2 billion paid to Jared or the multi- billion $ paid for a stake in Twitter? Or the Liv golf tour?

Good PR? Maybe we’ll all forget about 911? And school buses in Yemen. And Kashoggi. Sportswashing. I’m just here for the football.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

US and Wales draw. And England beat Iran 6-2.

A plausible scenario: England finishes the group stage with 9 points, US and Wales each with 4, Iran 0. US took a lot of yellows. US be short of centrebacks in the late going and yellow cards can be a tiebreaker at the end of the day.

Return to “Tangents”