Big Band Setup

All about making money.
Scruffysteve

Big Band Setup

Post by Scruffysteve »

I hope this enquiry is in the right section: some friends of mine are planning to run an amateur big band in the UK (17 musicians) and are currently considering the best vehicle for their purpose. The object will be to rehearse (so rehearsal costs incurred), perform (ticket sales) and re-invest any surplus into equipment, travel costs, dep's, etc.. If any surplus remains after this they plan to make periodic distributions to the band members.

They are looking to carry on the organisation 'above board', ensuring that relevant taxes, etc. are declared, but are hoping to simplify and minimise the administration. Does anyone have any suggestions or are able to point me towards sources of information?

Thank you in anticipation.
Matt K
Verified

Re: Big Band Setup

Post by Matt K »

I don't know how different the UK is but in the US I tend to just go straight to an accountant for that type of thing. But there area boatload of laws here and it varies from state to state so it might not be as complex over there. The best band in that regard that I've been a member of had like 6 accountants in it :lol:
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

First off, congratulations for taking the initiative and founding a new band!

Good advice from Matt K to talk to an accountant.

Hopefully some of the prospective members were involved in running similar bands which could be useful. From my experience of such bands in the UK, you'd be doing extremely well to generate a profit from ticket sales once the venue and running costs are subtracted. You may find that you can significnatly increase the earnings of the band by playing for weddings and charity/corporate events, rather than relying on ticket sales. A decent amateur band should still be able to command a decent fee for a wedding.

This guidance from the musician's union suggests that as soon as amateur musicians start making any money, they should start to keep records of income and expenses.

https://musiciansunion.org.uk/legal-mon ... -musicians

The same page also mentions that this need to be declared to HMRC once you get above £1000. If this is correct, and it should be checked with an accountant, you'd be doing extremely well if each of the 17 members of the band realized £1000 or more (assuming they didn't have income from other musical activities). Even to get £17k worth of gigs would be be a good return for a new band, and of course there are many expenses to be deducted (also one for the accountant). There are also some other good bits of advice on the MU website, if you're not a member already it might be worth joining (only £1 for the first 6 Months!) and see what advice you can get from them.

It might be worth looking into charitable status and whether there is any funding or grants available, long shot I know but worth looking.

Whatever direction the group goes in, it's probably good to formalize the structure into some sort of constitution and rules. You may all be best buddies in the excitement of starting the band but it's good to have it covered in case of future 'misunderstandings'.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

One expense not mentioned yet is the music. Good arrangements are not cheap.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Scruffysteve

Post by Scruffysteve »

Thank you for the advice and pointers. The MU guidance looks really interesting. I cannot see distributions to band members exceeding £1,000pa, so I will look a little further into this.

The band is already up and running and making a profit. It definitely needs some sort of 'constitution' as, I agree, we only look towards the written agreement when we disagree!

Many thanks for your contributions.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I'd watch out for how the performance rights fees are paid to the publishers. As long as the venue is working through ASCAP or whatever collection association covers your area, and they are getting the set list from you you should be good. But if you are playing in parks or community centers, it's probably not above board unless you are paying the fees.
Scruffysteve

Post by Scruffysteve »

We only play in established music venues 👍
Scruffysteve

Post by Scruffysteve »

Update: I’ve established that an unincorporated association is the way to go for us. Relatively little admin and individual members take care of their own tax affairs. Lots of free guidance on the web too.

Thanks for the replies. Hope this is if assistance to any others out there in a similar position.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Sounds like a good option, good luck with the band. Feel free to share a couple of links to videos etc. if you end up with some on a website or YouTube!

Return to “Music Business”