Sousa vs. Sermons

Spin your yarns here.
robcat2075

Sousa vs. Sermons

Post by robcat2075 »

If only John Phillip Sousa hadn't left town after the concert he could have been the Rosa Parks of the anti-Blue Law movement. Instead some no-name got arrested.

SousaSunday.jpg

I doubt much came out of this event. "Blue Laws" would remain an point of contention for decades. New York's law banning sales on Sunday were not overturned until 1976.

When I got to Texas in the 1980s they still had almost all stores and malls closed on Sundays.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
hyperbolica

Re: Sousa vs. Sermons

Post by hyperbolica »

Endicott Johnson is not some no name. Unless you're not from upstate NY. There was a shoe store chain named Endicott Johnson, a city named Endicot and a city named Johnson City in the southern tier. Fairly big shot as southern tier of upstate NY goes.
robcat2075

Re: Sousa vs. Sermons

Post by robcat2075 »

hyperbolica wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:46 am Endicott Johnson is not some no name. Unless you're not from upstate NY. There was a shoe store chain named Endicott Johnson, a city named Endicot and a city named Johnson City in the southern tier. Fairly big shot as southern tier of upstate NY goes.
But go ask that southern tier who Harold F. Albert is. He's the one who got arrested for it.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie

Return to “Tangents”