Looking for Hagmann valve for Edwards T350

ivantong

Looking for Hagmann valve for Edwards T350

Post by ivantong »

I am using Edwards T350HB and I wish to buy a hagmann valve and modify it to use in my trombone. I really like the different focus sound of Hagmann valve and it would have a new sound and different combination for more solo tone than my thayer valve yellow brass setting. I have searched around but could not find any other doing that, and I saw Hagmann sell valve kits. May I ask for your opinion and experience with similar modifications for edwards/ shires? And to whom I contact (Hagmann or Edwards) would have a better answer and less anger?

I have tried Edwards rotax valve and it is not what I want with my setting. I am very new from this forum and I don’t mean to start the war with valves :amazed:
Matt K
Verified

Re: Looking for Hagmann valve for Edwards T350

Post by Matt K »

You'd be better off finding a tech to do the conversion and having them acquire the parts. Typically, they would get a "kit" from Hagmann and either put it on an existing valve section or order parts from Edwards for a 2nd valve section and put the "kit" into the parts they get. Hagmann are not cheap... looking at something like $1600 for the "kit" before any labor, iirc.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

ivantong wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:12 pmI have tried Edwards rotax valve and it is not what I want with my setting. I am very new from this forum and I don’t mean to start the war with valves :amazed:
I wouldn't worry about that, the war has been at a stalemate for years, and there will never really be a true "victor". It's all about what works best for YOU. For me that's pretty much regular rotors, or improved rotors like the Kanstul CR, Meinlschmidt "Open Flow", etc.

As mentioned above this is something you're pretty much going to have to get fabricated. I don't know if I've seen a T350 with a Hagmann "in the wild" before. Almost all I see have the Axial Flow valve, though I have seen a few conventional rotor examples now that they are being offered again.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

tbonesullivan wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:46 pm
ivantong wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:12 pmI have tried Edwards rotax valve and it is not what I want with my setting. I am very new from this forum and I don’t mean to start the war with valves :amazed:
I wouldn't worry about that, the war has been at a stalemate for years, and there will never really be a true "victor". It's all about what works best for YOU. For me that's pretty much regular rotors, or improved rotors like the Kanstul CR, Meinlschmidt "Open Flow", etc.

As mentioned above this is something you're pretty much going to have to get fabricated. I don't know if I've seen a T350 with a Hagmann "in the wild" before. Almost all I see have the Axial Flow valve, though I have seen a few conventional rotor examples now that they are being offered again.
Agreed. I also have not seen an Edwards with a Haggman, but I have seen a number of Shires, both tenor and bass.

For me, in the rotor wars I am done with valves that have to seal on two different axes. (I do still enjoy my Thayers and Tubores, but I’m moving to more rotor based items in the future… if I need to ever buy another valve.

Cheers,
Andy
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

elmsandr wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:14 amAgreed. I also have not seen an Edwards with a Haggman, but I have seen a number of Shires, both tenor and bass.

For me, in the rotor wars I am done with valves that have to seal on two different axes. (I do still enjoy my Thayers and Tubores, but I’m moving to more rotor based items in the future… if I need to ever buy another valve.

Cheers,
Andy
YEP. Hagmann and Axial Flow valves are just... out for me. The extra maintenance and ease of damage and such.. I just don't want to deal with the valves that have only a single bushing / axis. The new "Infinity" valves are a little better but still not something I want to deal with.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
taylorjones

Post by taylorjones »

WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

taylorjones wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:13 pm I've got one available!

https://www.trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php?t=31502
I think that person was just looking for the valve last year.
ivantong

Post by ivantong »

I also got mime from Hagmann directly! It’s interesting to play with. The only difference my valve have a little parts in the brace to align the F tuning slide parallel to the main slide. It is exactly the same feeling of Edwards but slighter brighter centre, with a faster valve. But there are too much variables within this modulation that would change the sound. I am happy with it and the staff from hagmann Servette music in Geneva are super nice and helpful to do the experiment with me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ivan Tong

Edwards 350HB, 333CF, Hagmann
Conn 36H
Yamaha 354D
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

And it comes full circle. Did you lose the harmonic brace when you did the conversion?
ivantong

Post by ivantong »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:31 am And it comes full circle. Did you lose the harmonic brace when you did the conversion?
They make the complete valve section, and I could keep my thayer valve. They have a “plate” between the brace just like the harmonic bridge but without the screw.
Ivan Tong

Edwards 350HB, 333CF, Hagmann
Conn 36H
Yamaha 354D

Return to “Modification & Repair”