Hi from San Diego!

Important Trombone Chat information starts here.
craign

Hi from San Diego!

Post by craign »

Returning player take 2. Played in school and part way into university, but got too busy and gave it away. I had played 2nd Trombone in community brass bands in Australia (A/B grade). Picked it up again a few years later when I lived in Sydney, not sure why I stopped now looking back???? But, my son recently started music at school (flute!) and I'm inspired to play again. My trombone is in another country though (early 90s 79H 0.525" bore Bb/F, 8.5" rose brass bell), so I picked up a Bach 36B which is what I always wanted when I was young. Maybe I should have gotten something more different than the Conn I have, but I can always pick up a more specific horn for the situation later after I've gotten some technique back.
Posaunus

Re: Hi from San Diego!

Post by Posaunus »

Welcome back. The Bach 36B and Conn 79H (my favorite) are two of the most versatile trombones you could possess. There are numerous playing opportunities available in the San Diego area - hope you can take advantage of some. Practice. Enjoy!
craign

Post by craign »

Thanks for the welcome. Based on my last comeback I suspect it'll be a little while until I'm playing in front of anyone again.

I would have suspected there are not many English style brass bands in the region, though I just googled and found one straight away!
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

craign wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:55 pmI would have suspected there are not many English style brass bands in the region, though I just googled and found one straight away!
You might want to start out with one of the local community concert bands (lots of them down San Diego way) first, just to get your sea legs back. The literature is typically less demanding and you're less likely to have to carry a part on your own.

If your goal is to play in the San Diego British Brass Band, you might want to start out with the San Diego City Guard Band; the groups have significant personnel overlap (including their conductor).
craign

Post by craign »

Thanks, good advice. Now I think about it that matches my recollection in Australia of concert vs. brass band low brass parts.
James

Post by James »

Many years ago I spent a week in San Diego. My favourite memories are of sitting in Balboa park, listening to the Spreckles organ as the sun set. Maybe your new-found brass band might play there one day?
craign

Post by craign »

That does seem like a great place for a Brass Band concert.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

craign wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:42 amThat does seem like a great place for a Brass Band concert.
It probably would be, but the facility is not free. One of the groups I play in looked into it a few years back. Maybe someone with really good connections could pull something off, but we couldn't.

Also, it's pretty big (max. capacity 2,400). Unless you drew quite a crowd, it would look depressingly empty.
dershem

Post by dershem »

Also in San Diego. My 36G is my 'go-to' horn when someone calls and says they need a trombone, but doesn't say for what.
craign

Post by craign »

After playing it for a few weeks I can see why the 36 is a good all around choice. Looking forward to the sound with a bigger deeper mouthpiece (e.g. 5G/5BS) when I get some form back. I think it is easier to play than my 79H (requires a little less air support (which is lucky right now), but it's been a while.

Return to “News & Announcements”