Jay Friedman: Sulek Sonata 2022

Pictures, video, etc.
BrianJohnston

Jay Friedman: Sulek Sonata 2022

Post by BrianJohnston »

Can you imagine being 82 years old (at the time of this recording) and still sounding this good?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce57_kCXZg4
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
BassBoneFL

Re: Jay Friedman: Sulek Sonata 2022

Post by BassBoneFL »

Holy &%*? !!!!! --- I can't imagine sounding that good NOW !!!!
Harold Van Schaik
Bass Trombone
The Florida Orchestra
S.E. Shires Artist
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Wow - I've got to go practice!

Jim Scott
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

WOW !!!!
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

So much for needing a "modern" open-wrap trombone.

Whatever trombone he is playing, it sounds great, with no deficiencies in the valve notes. Very uniform sound.

Keep it going, Jay! :good:
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Posaunus wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:11 pm So much for needing a "modern" open-wrap trombone.

Whatever trombone he is playing, it sounds great, with no deficiencies in the valve notes. Very uniform sound.

Keep it going, Jay! :good:
Bach 45B
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

1950s Mount Vernon 45B with a LT50 slide to be exact
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

And a 3G size mouthpiece. To be clear though, Jay played thayers and other very open valves for many years. He's just found a beautiful classic horn that works as it is, so why mess with it?

Jim Scott
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

CalgaryTbone wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:11 pm And a 3G size mouthpiece. To be clear though, Jay played thayers and other very open valves for many years. He's just found a beautiful classic horn that works as it is, so why mess with it?

Jim Scott
I believe the 45B rotor valve is more open than the 42B's rotor, which could explain why he's satisfied with it. Upon my many conversations with Jay, he's said his favorite valve is the Shires trubore, which is probably the most open valve you can get for a tenor trombone.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

Brass colored 562 bore carbon slide actually... ๐Ÿ˜‰
chromebone

Post by chromebone »

Incredible at any age.
A few years ago, right before the pandemic, I drove 8 hours to Chicago and took a lesson with him. As an added bonus, the orchestra was playing a matinee performance of Tchaikovsky 6; I jumped in my car and raced to the hall right after the lesson and heard Jay and the section in action in one of the best possible pieces one would want to hear that section. Spoiler: they donโ€™t play nearly as loud in that hall as we have been led to believe; they play so clear and with such core and purity to the sound, they donโ€™t need to be loud; Jay and the section play with such ease and above all, minimal effort; his ease of production is one reason why he can continue to play at such a high level at his age. I can honestly say Iโ€™ve never had a single lesson with someone where my whole outlook and approach to playing was completely changed in the way it was during that hour and a half.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Tbarh wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:09 am Brass colored 562 bore carbon slide actually... ๐Ÿ˜‰
I never would have guessed that was a carbon fiber slide. [Or a modern LT50 slide. :idk: ] Whatever is is, it certainly doesn't deleteriously affect the sound!

Apparently this Bach 45B is not quite "a beautiful classic horn that works as it is, so why mess with it?"
Even the classics can be improved?
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

Posaunus wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:56 am
Tbarh wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:09 am Brass colored 562 bore carbon slide actually... ๐Ÿ˜‰
I never would have guessed that was a carbon fiber slide. [Or a modern LT50 slide. :idk: ] Whatever is is, it certainly doesn't deleteriously affect the sound!

Apparently this Bach 45B is not quite "a beautiful classic horn that works as it is, so why mess with it?"
Even the classics can be improved?
Not necessarily a sound improvement. It's probably the absolute lightest slide you can play without it getting in the way of the sound
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Who am I to criticize someone who is a literal god of the trombone, but the intonation in this recording is sort of out of whack, to my ears.

It's definitely live, and it's a really impressive live recording of this piece.

Return to โ€œMediaโ€