Yamaha serial # catalog?

Loganchovie

Yamaha serial # catalog?

Post by Loganchovie »

Does anyone know of any catalog of the time periods of Yamaha trombone production based off serial number? I looked online briefly and couldn’t find anything for trombone (just pianos) I’ve bought an alto trombone (ysl-673) and was wanting to get an around about date of production. Thanks!
Logan Myers, UofL 2023
BGuttman

Re: Yamaha serial # catalog?

Post by BGuttman »

I don't think such a thing exists. When I bought my 1985 682G I tested 2 horns: a yellow bell S/N 0011xx and my gold one, S/N 00123x. I am certain Yamaha made more than 1200 trombones prior to 1985.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Yamaha doesn't have a sequential serial system. They are probably only meaningful in some Yamaha way we don't know.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

There was once a Yamaha serial number list on some Geocities page that I used to date my first bass (a 321). As best as I can tell, it has been lost forever in the mists of the prehistoric internet.
noordinaryjoe

Post by noordinaryjoe »

spencercarran wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:25 am There was once a Yamaha serial number list on some Geocities page that I used to date my first bass (a 321). As best as I can tell, it has been lost forever in the mists of the prehistoric internet.
I think the page you are referring to was moved to here:

https://www.oocities.org/yuenli_low/tro ... bone1.html

I don't remember it having serial #'s for Yamaha, but it is the most comprehensive list of Yamaha (and other manufactures) model variants and years produced that I have ever seen. I don't think it is 100% accurate 100% of the time, but it's a pretty good reference. Look at Discontinued Models:

https://www.oocities.org/yuenli_low/tro ... specs.html

As well as Current:

https://www.oocities.org/yuenli_low/tro ... v2ehtm.htm

...since 'current' was 15+ years ago. -Joe
Yamaha YBL-612R II
YSL-651
Schiller Heritage Bb/C (YSL-350C clone)
Pirate
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

I called Yamaha last week. I was trying to find the date of manufacture of a cornet I recently acquired. The rep who called me back said they didn't have records of serial numbers.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
jorymil

Post by jorymil »

It's probably a fair assumption that the numbers stamped on Yamaha horns aren't unique. Something else I'd be curious about is whether they're specific to a given model of horn, or if the same number is reused between horns. Likewise if they're sequential or not. A store with a large rental fleet might have some interesting records on this.
dad

Post by dad »

spencercarran wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:25 am There was once a Yamaha serial number list on some Geocities page that I used to date my first bass (a 321). As best as I can tell, it has been lost forever in the mists of the prehistoric internet.
I got my bass in 1969 and the SN is 326. I've been trying to find out more about the number but have not had any luck. Might this mean yours is 5 trombones older than mine? Dean
asmith

Post by asmith »

This is probably the closest thing out there.

https://www.yamahacollector.com/trombone

Based on the model, it's from somewhere between 1994-1997.

If you wanted a more exact date, then you'll likely need to contact a Yamaha rep. Yamaha is not forthcoming with any information they feel can be used against them or used to aid their competitors.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

dad wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:58 am
I got my bass in 1969 and the SN is 326. I've been trying to find out more about the number but have not had any luck. Might this mean yours is 5 trombones older than mine? Dean
His was a model YBL-321, not 321 serial number.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

As I understand it, Yamaha serializes each model (or maybe family?) separately. IIRC, they also skip to a round number when there is a significant design revision.
Feebranch

Post by Feebranch »

Thanks for the catalogue list I have apparently a 681G which I know nothing sbout apart from I love it. I've been offered plenty of others to play but I love my Yamaha

Return to “Instruments”