Eurovision 2017

ttf_Graham Martin

Eurovision 2017

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

Australia will again compete in Sunday's Eurovision final after Isaiah Firebrace grabbed one of the 10 qualifying spots in Wednesday's first semi-final.

This result maintained Australia's 100 per cent record following Guy Sebastian's pass to the final in 2015, and Dami Im's qualification last year. Don't ask about Australia not being in Europe because it is old ground. Image

Here is the video of Isaiah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=058Yyhxsi7o

I can't say I am as impressed as I was with our previous entries but it is definitely the right style for Eurovision.

Here is a roundup of the other entries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFGOqbmKe-w

Hey, it's just pop music! Image

ttf_Graham Martin

Eurovision 2017

The results have just been announced and Salvador and Luísa Sobral from Portugal won this year's Eurovision. I think it was well deserved and I certainly applaud those final words of Salvador:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5VUti3kVIo

Australia's Isaiah did okay finishing in 9th position:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiXEMYUqa3w

As did another Aussie born, Anja, who sang for Denmark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=716rTFMgZQ4

Actually, I am not really interested that much in the list of winners. I just like the show because of the European music influence, even though it is not exactly my favourite music genre. Image

ttf_robcat2075

Eurovision 2017

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

My European Facebook friends have been making a running commentary of disgust and despair throughout. 

And yet, they keep watching it.   Image
ttf_Graham Martin

Eurovision 2017

BTW, the man who during reigning winner Jamala's performance, jumped on the stage draped in an Australian flag and pulled down his pants to expose his bottom on live TV, was not an Aussie! He was Vitalii Sediuk, a self-described prankster known for accosting celebrities on red carpets.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-14/eurovision-streaker-takes-to-stage-draped-in-australian-flag/8524784

Now, I am not saying that Aussies do not get up to such pranks but not this time. Image
ttf_bonenick

Eurovision 2017

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Eurovision became itself a prank. After the Bearded "diva" admitted that he has chosen this image in order to win the Eurovision contest, the new "winner" is the closest contester to this same "ideal". It has nothing to do with musical or even national values. This is all transgender marketing and politics.
ttf_Graham Martin

Eurovision 2017

Quote from: bonenick on Yesterday at 01:06 AMEurovision became itself a prank. After the Bearded "diva" admitted that he has chosen this image in order to win the Eurovision contest, the new "winner" is the closest contester to this same "ideal". It has nothing to do with musical or even national values. This is all transgender marketing and politics.

Salvador Sobral did not come across to me as transgender. Not that there is anything wrong with that in most of today's world. He has a high singing voice but his talking and actions were perfectly straight. If anything, his commentary on Eurovision was against the bearded diva previous winner. He is much more interested in Eurovision stressing the quality of the music, rather than putting on a show. Which indeed is what happened this year with much less of the lighting effects etc. He is also very political in his interviews, talking about humanitarian treatment of refugees etc. He usually performs in the jazz genre of music and not Pop music but his sister particularly wanted him to sing her song.

I did think that one of Bulgaria's interviewers was a bit effeminate in his manner but Salvador handled him very straight.

I guess you are in a better place to know the true facts about the people involved.

I really think the organisers of this years show tried very hard to radically change the image presented last year, particularly by the bearded one. I don't agree that this Eurovision is involved in any marketing plot by any particular group of people.

But I do think they have to end the committee voting and make it all by the public. There is still too much voting in blocks by associated countries.
ttf_bonenick

Eurovision 2017

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Yesterday at 09:24 PMBut I do think they have to end the committee voting and make it all by the public. There is still too much voting in blocks by associated countries.

I cannot agree agree more. The Bulgarian contester is far too young to comment on his orientation. What I liked about him it is not so much about his music, but the fact that he didn't hide his russian origins, on the contrary - he put it forward. That was brave, given the fact that it was likely to get him penalized because of the current conflict between Europe and Ukraine from one side and Russia on the other.

Still, Eurovision is far behind what it needs to be. There are too much any other factors that are being put in consideration than a song itself. And there are too many songs alike, Bulgarian included.
ttf_robcat2075

Eurovision 2017

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I've watched the winning song and read the commentary about him and read the English translation of the lyrics. 

I don't see a transgender angle to it. Is it the hair? 

I guessing that Bulgaria pretty much missed out on the rock & roll era

ttf_robcat2075

Eurovision 2017

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I've watched the winning song and read the commentary about him and read the English translation of the lyrics. 

I don't see a transgender angle to it. Is it the hair? 

I guessing that Bulgaria pretty much missed out on the rock & roll era

Return to “Chit-Chat”