Dog Howls when i play trombone

ttf_Emisaumell

Post by ttf_Emisaumell »

He howls like a MF when I play. Even a single note and not too loud. Is he okay? It gets annoying and sounds like im killing him
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

My cat would make distressed noises when I practiced.

I told him the door is open he can leave any time he wants.

He may just be singing along but perhaps you could try putting him in another room while you practice.
ttf_Emisaumell

Post by ttf_Emisaumell »

Hes outside! I can even be in the kitchen (about 50 feet away and bunch of walls between) and he would still howl
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Never had one howl, but a couple have chased my slide as I play Image

Maybe he thinks you are another dog and it's time to start a howl fest.  Image  Or maybe you sound like a wounded moose and he thinks there's prey nearby Image
ttf_Rockymountaintrombone

Post by ttf_Rockymountaintrombone »

Get used to it.  I'm on my 3rd dog (plus family dogs while growing up).

All of my dogs have howled to some degree when I practice. My last one would also howl to recordings, and seemed to know the difference between trombone and other brass instruments. Once, while I was listening to a CD of the Hindemith Brass Sonatas, he sat quietly through all of the sonatas, and ran to the stereo and howled at the top of his lungs as soon as the Trombone Sonata started.

My current dog is a big girl - Pyrenees/Golden cross, and she makes a hell of a racket when I play. She likes warm-ups and Bordogni's well enough, but anything with some articulation or high range gets a big reaction. For your own piece of mind, try to practice as far away from your dog as you can manage within your house. I've never figured out if they are singing along, ears are hurting, or if they are frightened by the sound. No matter what, they are always happy to see you when you put the trombone down!

Good luck!

Jim Scott
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Quote from: Rockymountaintrombone on Mar 29, 2017, 04:31PMthey are always happy to see you when you put the trombone down!
Jim Scott
Sounds like a variation of an old joke...
I'm sure you know it.
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

My dog doesn't react to any of my playing at all, not even when I'm fiddling about with a Melodica, which being a free-reed instrument is right up there with the accordion for getting dogs going..

ttf_JESimmons

Post by ttf_JESimmons »

My grandfather played hillbilly banjo, and his white German shepherd would sit beside him and yodel.  They had a great time.  My grandmother, a conservatory trained classical pianist, would have to leave home.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: BGuttman on Mar 29, 2017, 04:30PM Or maybe you sound like a wounded moose and he thinks there's prey nearby Image
OMG. You are killing me Image

Sure I am glad I don't have any hunting dogs around  Image
ttf_JimArcher

Post by ttf_JimArcher »

Our Boxer howls right along with my wife on her button box (a diatonic accordion) and, she's done the same thing with my trombone(s), the euphonium, and once the violin.  Haven't figured out if she likes the "noise" or is just annoyed...
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

My dogs don't mind lying on the floor when I practice, but the cats leave the room pretty quickly. I guess they have better musical taste than the dogs.
ttf_Roebird37

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

My dog started doing this in the last year even though I've had him for 6 years and he never made a peep before that.

I was initially worried that I was hurting his delicate and sensitive ears - you know, the ones that can hear a food wrapper 3 miles away but don't hear you calling him back in from the field.

However, the door is open, and he will come running from elsewhere in the house to join in, so I can only assume he's enjoying it in his own way.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: Roebird37 on Apr 02, 2017, 07:26AMMy dog started doing this in the last year even though I've had him for 6 years and he never made a peep before that.
He finally reached maturity. Hardly a surprise  Image
ttf_oslide

Post by ttf_oslide »

Quote from: Roebird37 on Apr 02, 2017, 07:26AM--- snip ---
However, the door is open, and he will come running from elsewhere in the house to join in, so I can only assume he's enjoying it in his own way.

Does he hold pitch? If yes, there are some musical styles where drones play an essential part. - Don't forget to give him a reward afterwards.

ttf_johnstad

Post by ttf_johnstad »

I had a Siberian Husky that would sit underneath my chair and would start howling when I would play the ride.

It was a fun and became a regular thing for both of us.
ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

I've got a sheprador that hates young children, and Harleys. I make sure she has wet food before I start playing, or I walk her soon afterwords. I'm fortunate that this one hasn't started burying my accessories in the backyard.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Mar 29, 2017, 05:48PMSounds like a variation of an old joke...
I'm sure you know it.

Bass solo.
ttf_dougm

Post by ttf_dougm »

One of our dogs will not make a sound until I play a high C.  They she howls, head straight up in the air looking at the ceiling.  She will then keep howling down to an A, and stop howling at high Ab.  No idea why.

Doug
ttf_Lou Natunze

Post by ttf_Lou Natunze »

Quote from: Emisaumell on Mar 29, 2017, 04:06PMHe howls like a MF when I play. Even a single note and not too loud. Is he okay? It gets annoying and sounds like im killing him

Is his behavior at all influenced by your choice of mouthpiece ?

Those "heavy-weight" mouthpieces are suppose to cut down on those annoying
upper-partials.

Would a dog agree with the above statement ?

Can your dog confirm that you have chosen the best Mouthpiece ?

Can your dog confirm that you've found the best Embouchure ?

What's your dog's ( Doug ) Elliot Code ?

"Enquiring Minds want to Know" 

ttf_Graham Martin

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

Quote from: MikeBMiller on Mar 30, 2017, 12:51PMMy dogs don't mind lying on the floor when I practice, but the cats leave the room pretty quickly. I guess they have better musical taste than the dogs.

My dog always seemed to enjoy my practicing and always went to sleep about halfway through a session. I even think she thought that I could not play unless she was in the room because, if she was elsewhere, she used to come in as soon as she heard me start to play.

Now things are very different as her hearing has got worse with old age (she is now 15!). It now seems to hurt her ears and she leaves the room as soon as she sees me getting ready to play. Or maybe my playing has declined too much for her. Image She now leaves the room and retires to the back room of the house until I have finished playing. Shame, because I enjoy her company whatever I am doing.

ttf_EdGrissom

Post by ttf_EdGrissom »

I have a miniature dachshund that will howl along when I play in certain keys.   Usually The Eb scale will set him off.   I have a warmup routine I go through every day and he will sit patiently while I go through long tones and slurs, but when I start little scale patterns he perks up.  As soon as I hit Eb in the cycle he cuts loose.   He will sing along for about a minute and then goes away.   If I don't play the scale pattern he won't howl.  Crazy. 
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

He is an eefer  Image I bet he'll love to hear you on alto  Image
ttf_Emisaumell

Post by ttf_Emisaumell »

Ha! My dog seems to have a disliking to bigger trombones

ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: Emisaumell on May 10, 2017, 01:46PMHa! My dog seems to have a disliking to bigger trombones

..because they have a deeper Bach?
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: Pre59 on May 10, 2017, 03:13PM..because they have a deeper Bach?

I Connt help but think yours is the King of responses so far. 
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: Emisaumell on May 10, 2017, 01:46PMHa! My dog seems to have a disliking to bigger trombones

I hope that we never feel it's Rath then..
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: Pre59 on May 11, 2017, 08:23AMI hope that we never feel it's Rath then..

Here's Holton we haven't triggered something...........Shire as shooting this will go downhill fast. 
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: timothy42b on May 11, 2017, 10:27AMHere's Holton we haven't triggered something...........Shire as shooting this will go downhill fast. 

Yes, like the Rath of Conn.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Maybe he hears something you don't (low vibrations?)...
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Maybe he hears something you don't (low vibrations?)...

Return to “Chit-Chat”