New Forum Members!

ttf_BillyB

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_BillyB »

Quote from: "bluenite"wbargetzi:  Seeing that you play with the brass band of huntsville, you must know Dr. Daniel Hornstein, small world, I know him Image  Image . He was my euph. private lesson instructor when I went to the college in Minot State University in Minot, ND. I learned a lot from him  Image  Please say  Image  for me. If he asks who I am, my name is Paul Routledge, that Canadian euph. player from The Pas, MB. I will be moving to Brandon, MB in a couple of weeks or so.

We rehearse tonight, I'll tell him hi for you. Cool! Small world... Image
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi everyone!!
I am registered here since april but I think there are not many people who know..tha´s why I write this down here..

My name is Sebastian and I from Germany and 17 years old..from a City called Dormagen between Köln and Düsseldorf (2 realy big citys) I am student at an Gymnasium (you would call it Highschool) but I am also student of Trombone and get Lessons from one of the best trombonists here in the area who played in and with some big symphony orchestras here for many years..
I love playing trombone and practise everyday 2,5 hours..I play a Conn 88HT and in my opinion it is the best trombone at the moment..
In the other part of my freetime I like to play basketball( LA Lakers rulez) with my friends or go into cinema with them..And of course Like to listen to good music classic and Jazz and I also love to play in my band..www.BSK-Neuss.de
I hope I didn´t forget to much..
Many Greetings from Germany

Sebastian
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

And now for my introduction:
My name is Kaitlyn Holz and I am soon to be a freshman (I'm 14).  I have my student Yamaha, but I recently bought a Bach 42B, and I'm loving it!  I've been in my middleschool's top band and jazz band all three years, and this year I'm 1st chair in both of them.  I also participated at this year's Illinois Trombone Symposium in the Honors Trombone Choir.  As of this Wednesday, I was studying with Jay Heltzer, but he moved because he is now in the Air Force Band.
I must say, this site is awesome!  And addicting....
And that's me!
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi all!  Image

Thought I should introduce myself here, so here goes.

My name is Morten and I'm from Norway (so please excuse bad spelling and my all-over poor english). I play the trombone in two big bands, the local community orchestra, a brass band (british style) and in my spare time i try to pass my exams at the university. I found this great forum when searching for information about mouthpieces and boresizes and found all the answers to all my questions, so I have checked in almost every day since.
ttf_VoodooChild42

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_VoodooChild42 »

Nothing spelled wrong that i can see!! Welcome!!! Image
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Well, I'm registered here since 2002...
But it's a really long time I'm not posting here.  Image

Anyone remembers me?

Alby from Torino, Italy!!

Greetings to all
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I remember Alby!

ttf_RedHotMama

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

I remember Alby too! Image

Good to see you back! Why not drop into the Bunker and tell us what you've been up to all this time? Image
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello, I've been here since March but I don't really post unless I think I can contribute something and I never noticed this thread 'til now.

I'm a student from Quebec, Canada. Sadly, Image music education in my school ends in Sec. III but I've continued learning on my own (with the help of the teacher at school) though I'm Sec. IV. Lol, I think I'm the only trombone player who practices now! In any case, if there is one who does, I haven't seen anything. Used to be a guy who played in the jazz band though, but he graduated last year.

I own a Yahama trombone with F-attachment, mechanical lock & traditional wrap, red brass bell and large bore (I forget the exact numbers). Using a gold-plated Denis Wick mouthpiece (again, I forgot the numbers) since I found myself to be allergic to normal mouthpieces. I'd been using a plastic mouthpiece before that, but when I got a private teacher he told me my sound seemed a bit small. I think he was being polite Image . I wear gloves too because of the allergy Image if you see a guy wearing white gloves, that should be me. Anyway, I'm also using an adapter for the mouthpiece since the music store hasn't received the larger ones yet and I used to use a smaller bore student model.

Hmmm...I also like books, computers and running. I've been learning the baritone (hard thing is pushing those valves and even harder is slurring...I keep catching myself tonguing for the slurs though I don't need to), and snatches (very small snatches) of the alto sax, the trumpet and the clarinet. Forget the flute.

I think this site is unique in all ways. I've looked at resources for trumpets, saxophones and clarinets, and while that search was far from exhaustive, the sites I found had nowhere near the level of information and community provided by this one.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi, I'm Corey from Winter Haven, Florida. I'm 14. I have a Getzen 747 with a 51D mouthpiece, and a 1954 Holton Collegiate with a 6 1/2 AL. The Holton is in the shop for some slide work  Image but I'm using the 6 1/2 to practice for marching season, which is why I bought the lighter holton. my marching band is playing 5 songs from West Side Story. This is my fourth year on the trombone, and I'm doing pretty well.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Greetings!

Just wanted to say hello and make a short presentation. After about 10-15 years away from the trombone, I decided to give this wonderful instrument a second (or maybe third) chance. Or should I say... I've got another chance...
Just got a new instrument (an old Holton tenor) and right now I'm struggling to get back to where I once were.  

I've just started to play in a Wind Band (is that the correct name for a mixed band with both brass and reed instruments?). I'm from Sweden and please do correct my language if needed.

(I'm in my 'golden' age (40+)   and have my musical training in gospel, soul, jazz and church music. I play the piano, some chords on the guitar, a few lines on the bass sometimes and now the trombone again...)!

best regards /engson
ttf_kwitchyrbelyachn

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_kwitchyrbelyachn »

Welcome to the OTJ engson.  
I found the key to getting the trombone chops back is of all things......  practice Image
I have such a great time playing now that I wonder why I ever stopped for the time I did.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello there, all!

I'm Farlander, and in my 20s. Started playing the trombone rather late in life, I'm afraid (my first three instruments were piano, violin and guitar, so taking up the trombone involved a huge ... well, paradigm shift). Have been playing for the better part of four years; spent the last three in the third chair at our symphonic band (now pretty nicely established) and orchestra (still in its infancy... I won't say more), so my range pretty much stopped at something like D5 (5 denoting 'middle'); anything higher I had to shift my embouchure to reach -- which I didn't realise was a trombone sin until fairly recently!!!

Well anyway, about three months back I was invited to join a local brass quintet, and it was only there that I learned - to my horror- that at least half the things I'd been doing up 'til now were wrong! SO I've been working like mad to get rid of the said bad habits/technique.... and I'm really quite elated now because I can now actually hit a D6 without too much difficulty, and without shifting in any way!  Image I've also finally found my trombone's real voice, which is an exciting thing for me.

So anyway, I'm going to stop ranting now before I make a fool of myself. Cheers.

Far.

PS: I'm currently still playing a Yamaha student trombone (YSL-354), but have been advised to switch to a large-bore horn if I want to continue playing 'serious' music, so I'm kind of shopping around for a decent instrument.
ttf_drizabone

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_drizabone »

Hi,

I'm just back into trom playing.  I learnt to play in a Salvation Army band as a kid.  I played everything except Eupho and fortunately ended up on trombone.  I stopped playing trom when I moved to a new church who just had a guitar,keyboard and drums band.

15 years later ...

I missed the trom so I joined a community Concert Band with the intention of playing second trom quietly until I had worked out how to play again.  Unfortunately the band didn't have any other trombones and they made sure I played the first part, so not only did I have to learn to play trom again, I had to learn bass cleff (I had played treble transposing before) and learn how to play the quite different style of music the new band played.  

I've made lots of mistakes, watched a lot of music go past that I couldn't play but its fun.   We played 76 trombones with a combined group of the local bands and orchestra.  Most of the other troms were Conn trained.  I just managed to keep up.  It was the biggest buzz.  Last week we sight read Lassus Trombone, it was bit scary but woo-hoo.

I play a King 3b which I think is a great horn, but wouldn't mind something a little bigger.

I've been following the forum for 6 months now and have learnt heaps.  Thanks for the great resource.

cheers,
Martin Walter
from Australia, on the right hand side, about a quater of the way up from the bottom.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Guess I better do one here as well  Image

My name is Christine Derksen. Born in New York, have been living in The Netherlands for 32 years now, we moved here when I was 4 (OK, do the math....)

Actually, I am a trumpet/cornet player  Image Let me rephrase that: I play soprano valve trombone  Image Started playing when I was 11 years old, have been playing now for 25 years. I play 2nd trumpet in two different community bands. One I have been a member of from the start the other for just over a year now. The last few years health problems have limited my playing unfortunately, with no improvement in sight. Perhaps to compensate I started a website called The Conn Loyalist dedicated to Elkhart era Conn instruments.

When I came across this forum I joined because I found it very educational with regard to my website, I have made several additions and alterations based on things I picked up here.  Image  It's nice to talk to a different crowd than just the trumpet/cornet players!

Regards, Christine
ttf_phonyreal98

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_phonyreal98 »

Hi, my name is Joey.  I am very new to this forum.  Yep that's right, I'm the new guy because I just got my account reactivated!!!  Yeah!!!  I feel like singing! Image  Image
ttf_RedHotMama

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

Welcome, new members! Image

Sorry I don't say this every time a new member posts here, but you'd soon get fed up of me if I did.... as you will anyway, if you visit Chit-Chat often.... which I hope you will!  Image It's great to hear from you all, and I hope you'll do plenty of posting in this and the "serious" sections.... Image
ttf_Sinfonia98

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Sinfonia98 »

wait a sec...............Chit chat is not considered a serious section?
ttf_Andrew

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Andrew »

Pretty serious to me. Especially the talk of black nighteys. Wait that is Polls.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

simon bailey, living in innsbruck.

i play bass and tenor trombone in various formations ranging from bigband to orchestra. i have a real life as well which involves tinkering with computers -- i've nearly finished my bach degree in computer sciences. i've been playing on and off since i was 8, that was 17yrs ago. i'm not as good as i should be for playing that long, but i'm slowly getting better.

equipment:
  - bach 42B late 1970s
  - yamaha 682G
  - yamaha 322 (not much longer)
  - jupiter 740L

i use klier mouthpieces, sizes 2BK, 4AL and 7CL -- great m'pces. Image

regards,
simon.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Image Hello.  i would definatly say im new!  only been here not even a week, still trying to get to know the place.
I heard about the online trombone journal from a guy i met durning our tour of europe on the iam trip.
I am really young, i have been playing trombone for 7 years.  i love playing at basketball games for pep band and in the marching band cuz you can play as loud as you want Image  with out getting yelled at by someone.  
I would most certinally describe myself as a band nerd, as the band room is where I eat my lunch or just totally skip it to either listen to something new we might try or to practice on music.  I have 2 trombones.  My first one, was the one i was issued in 5th grade, a standard yahama, nothen special.  My parents just reciently got me a bach tb200b off of ebay.  Its a nicer horn that i use for concert and symphonic band
Other stuff about me becides my musical talents.  
I am a junior in high school.  I like speech and theater.  i work at a subway (what kind of cheese would u like on that?)  and i luv driving my pos car around with the music as loud as my speakers will let me without fuzzing out lo Image l... i am an only kid and i luv to babysit my neighbors.
ttf_Shortstuff

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Shortstuff »

Hello Image . I'm the freaky short, girl who does too many school-involved activities!! I post my wierdness in chit-chat....
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

hello
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi, im Josh, and im an alcoho.... whoops, wrong forum!

Well, ive been here for a while, but id thought id say hello again.

Ive just been recently let out of hospital, read the topic in chit chat to find out more.

I was attending uni, but have decided to take this semester off, so i am now working full time as a crowd controll officer (bouncer) and regulary play with along with a dj on tues nights.

Well, i spose ill be catchin yuse all around sometime or another.

Laters all.....
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

hey everybody, I'm Garrin,
 i've been a member for a month or so and let me tell you right off the bat that i'm a huge bandnerd (as my screen name suggests) and i practice more than any 14 year old should. I live in a little town east of Davenport, if anyone knows where that is. I've been playing for 3 years. I'm into jazz, so all the old people in the region love me. I own a king 3b that was owned by Jack Morgan (if anyone knows who that is), an acient 1912 frank holton, a 62 king, a beuscher super 400, a Thor bone(i don't even know why i have it), and a crappy old bundy.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I have not played a trombone in about 5 years and have decided to pick it back up. I doubt I will pursue it professionally, but I decided I missed playing and needed to get it back. I went to music school for 2 years and never finished due to difficulties in paying the costs of school. Anyway, to make a long story short, I have been gone a long time and I am excited to come back to my first love, which is music. I am looking for an instrument now, since I was stupid enough to sell my Edwards many years ago. (I know, BIG mistake!) Once I find one, I hope to be back in the saddle soon. I have begun by doing some buzzing with a mouthpiece and training my ear to get back into the swing of things. I have also started trying to look up some of the guys I went to school with, hoping I could get together and do some playing.

I have been reading some of the discussions here, and I can see some really great people giving some very good advice. I look forward to contributing to some of these discussions.  Image
ttf_tbone62

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_tbone62 »

Glad you've decided to pick back up on your music!  There are quite a few of us here (me included) who've come back to playing after extended time away.  I have found the OTJ to be a wonderful resource, and the people on the Forum have been most patient with me and my dozens of questions!

You SOLD an Edwards!  Image  Well, at least now you have the fun of trying out different horns and finding the perfect one---again!

Welcome!!
ttf_Stephen Hoffman

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Stephen Hoffman »

Hey, welcome Darrel and glad to hear that you have again, picked up the trombone Image

Welcome to the OTJ Forum, there are some great guys here with great advice.  Although I wouldn't listen to me very often as 90% of the time I am wrong Image

Shame on you for selling your Edwards Image but then again who new you would be coming back to the trombone.  Sorry if I sound like I'm playing devils advocate here.

Anyways, welcome.
ttf_homestar_runner

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_homestar_runner »

welcome, welcome, welcome!  Just don't get into trouble, and have fun on this forum!

(this goes out to all the newbies!)
ttf_phonyreal98

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_phonyreal98 »

hey homestar runner, relatively speaking, you're a newbie...
ttf_homestar_runner

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_homestar_runner »

True, but does that mean that I can't welcome people too?

Image (just kidding)
ttf_Andrew

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Andrew »

Quote from: "Stephen Hoffman" I wouldn't listen to me very often as 90% of the time I am wrong Image At least you admit it.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

erm..I'm new. I play a Jupiter Bb/F called Rosie. Bass in school wind band/orchestra/solo stuff, tenor in colliery band.
    That's all the trombone-type stuff I think... Image
ttf_BFW

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_BFW »

Welcome to the forum!  Image
ttf_Stephen Hoffman

New Forum Members!

Welcome to the forum *Sticks*
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: "phonyreal98"hey homestar runner, relatively speaking, you're a newbie...

Relatively speaking.... *you're* a newbie too  Image
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

aight I have been here for awhile but hey it's all good ya gotta start somewhere right?

My name is Lydia I'm a 14 year old woman Bass trombonist and I play Tenor almost every chance I get. This is my second year playing and I play in the young but still trophy winning of a Band Station Camp Thundering Herd!! Go Bison!!.....oops sorry.... but anyways I love marching so far and our show is great we took music that we had to memorize for Disney and used it in our show entitled "an American Tribute"  But anyways!!! I LOVE YOU LARRY!! yeah he needs to get on more... sorry again my freidns call me the Queen of Randomnosity.... ok anyone in Tennessee Great job at HGI (hendersonville golden Invitational) It was a blast! and if i met you great and if i didnt all well your loss!!

Psst!!!! for any of ya'll who didnt know i got my silver horn back and have already ran into a Tuba twice and dropped it like three times.... heh heh   Image
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Greetings to all.  I have been lurking for a while, but rarely get a chance to post much of anything that matters.  Like many others, I stopped playing trombone (but kept up on piano) during college.  After I got a real job, I did start playing again fairly quickly, and am now playing in 2 community orchestras, 2 community bands, a semi-pro jazz band/big band, a brass quintet, and a british-style brass band.  I'm playing three or four different horns a week, trying to make up my mind which I like the best.  Mostly I use a Bach 42 or King 5B in the orchestras (2nd or 3rd part), an Olds Opera with no F in the bands (1st), an Olds Super or Conn 78H for the jazz band (2nd or 3rd),  the 5B for the brass band, and whatever I have in the car for the quintet.  My daughter also plays trombone in one of the community bands, and my wife plays euphonium in the other, so I get a chance to see them occasionally.  After spending the summer between my junior and senior year in high school at Interlochen,  I made a conscious decision that I would rather enjoy music than hate it, and decided against a music major in college.  That has worked out well, as now I am able to play whenever I want, with pretty much whatever horn I want, and if I don't like playing with a group, I stop.  If only there were more hours in the day - or, if I could only give up my day job, I might be able to practice.  Once in a while.

Phil
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I've posted here a few times, mainly about learning trombone after a good 7 years on saxophone. My main instrument still is and always will be saxophone, but I love learning new instruments, which is why I picked up a trombone for $50. It's at home right now, but I might start playing it whenever I go home on break. I am also considering taking a brass methods class so that I can improve while I'm away from my trombone.

Some facts about me:
7 years on saxophone (mainly alto, some tenor)
About 3 years on clarinet (regular and contra-alto)
1 year dabbling in flute
Approximately 1 week on trombone
Absolute no (well, extrememly little) experience singing. I don't even know if I'm an alto or soprano.

So that's me!
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

my names Davey C., been playing the slide trombone for a insignificant 10 years...yep...since i was nigh-on 11  Image
my taste for the music i attempt to play has varied eclectically over the years, now i've got my scopes set on funk, jazz, experimental, and grass-roots...thats right, grass roots...
for the past 3 years now i've been apprenticing under the break-beat scientists Papa-Jonrae Pecoul & and Perry-P (both formerly of Speech out of Atlanta), creating **** from hippity-hop, to jazz-funky, dont stop breaks, and currently playing in Sassaphras:  Jonrae, vocalist/producer; Perry-P, keys/beats; Will (bigg productions), accoustic guitar; Norm, stand-up bassist; Steve, 3-piece drums; myself, trombone.  no way to describe the music other than utterly Funky.
Buzzin' licks out of a '39 Committee Martin .465 bore w/ either a FH #80, Bach 3, or 12c. I learned to play on a beat up Conn, graduated to an indestrucable King, student model (i can't remember what type anymore), when high school rolled around i purchased a Benge 165F, and within the last few years i found my trombone-mate, handcraft committee.
From the ignorant state of Mississippi on the man-made molested coast of G-port.
I'll soon be going off to Renton, in WA for instrument repair, upon completion going to apprentice under ... someone ... or go make instruments at a manufacturer ... but thats all future-tense.
thats about all i can muster up for an introduction.  
i'm glad i sumbled across this forum, it brings information and perspectives together, which is awesome, for t-bone players.
D.C.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Helooooo
My name is andrea...I've been here for about 3-4 weeks so i'm sorta new...
I am originally a euphonium player (now 8 yrs) who is now starting trombone and enjoying it like hell...
I'm studying Journalism and music next year...
My favourite colour is black
Fav. movie: Schindler's List and Beauty and the beast
Fav. clothes: my leopard print boxers and pink fluffy slippers
Fav. music: (general) Jazz, modern and rock

Anys wana know more 'pm' me!!
jeux Image
ttf_ParLawGod

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_ParLawGod »

QuoteHelooooo
My name is andrea...I've been here for about 3-4 weeks so i'm sorta new...
I am originally a euphonium player (now 8 yrs) who is now starting trombone and enjoying it like hell...
I'm studying Journalism and music next year...
My favourite colour is black
Fav. movie: Schindler's List and Beauty and the beast
Fav. clothes: my leopard print boxers and pink fluffy slippers
Fav. music: (general) Jazz, modern and rock

Anys wana know more 'pm' me!!
jeux
I like your choice of favorite clothes!  There are plenty of other euphonium players here (including myself) so you'll fit in well...welcome to the forum Image
ttf_Stephen Hoffman

New Forum Members!

Hey Jeux, welcome to the forum!  You sound like a very experienced player and I hope you enjoy your time here at the OTJ.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey, my name is Danielle, I'm a junior in high school.  My main instrument WAS the clarinet, but this year it's the bass trombone.  I started playing the trombone when I tried out as a clarinet in jazz band, and my teacher handed me a trombone, then 5 months later I was playing the bass trombone.  So, I've been playing the trombone for a year, and I love it.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey this is my first post! I've been playing trombone for about six years. I'm currently a senior in HS in San Francisco and hope to attend a conservatory or pursue a career in music. Right now I've got a Conn 88h-CL and use a greg black mp. (i love it but it weighs a ton) My favorite composers are Mahler, Wagner, Rossini, Copland, Holst, Beethoven, etc. I also like a lot of jazz, like JJ johnson, miles davis, tommy dorsey, duke ellington, and a plethora of others.
ttf_Stephen Hoffman

New Forum Members!

Hey Danielle and Mike!  Great to see you here on the forum.  There are tons of great people here and you will learn emmensly, again welcome
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

alright this is for a great shout out to all the new folks on here and this is also an update on The Station Camp Thundering Herd we ARE going to Chatanooga for the competiton I think NEXT weekend and i was wondering if anyone is going!!
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

hullo everyone! my name is mandy (but i spell it mandee just for the hell of it) and i'm in ninth grade. i've been playing the trombone since 6th grade and i love it! i'm actually a pretty good player (or so i've been told) and lol..ya. uh...i'm 14 years old and...lol,idk. i also can play the euphonium and a little bit of the flute. but my true love is the trombone. in 7th and 8th grade i had a brand new trigger bone and i adored it! i even named it Bartholomew! lol...this year i have a new one and i have named it Engelbert Humperdinck. i dunno what came over me when i named him but thats what it is so ya.lol...um...i hate my band rehearsals, yet i LOVE LOVE LOVE doing drill and marching. its like...so terrific to me. lol...i dunno why though. lol...my school's marching band has like 124 people in it...and we have i think....8 bones...not as much as we thought. we were supposed to have 12 but they all moved. there are 2 girls including me! i just uh wanna say that girl trombonists are awesome! lol...me and christine (the other girl in my section who is a junior) seriously play better than most of the guys in our section. lol...we blow louder and can read music and drill better. its great.lol. um...oh yes. our band show this year is "Latin Nights" and we're doing La Suerte de Los Tontos, Bolero, and Malaguena. we just finished all our drill for Malaguena tonight at rehearsal but we still can't put music to it and have it be nice and clean. Malaguena is also extrememly hard!!! our brass head told us that its the hardest marching song ever...but maybe he was just sayin that ya know? lol...we did hear a recording of a drum corps band doin it but i dunno which band it was. we have a competition on saturday and we can only do half of our Malaguena drill...we already have our other songs done. i especially like Bolero due to the fact the trombones have a bit of a soli...even though the mellos play with us.  Image i personally think that it should just be bones...lol. there is also a solo with our section leader and in Malaguena there is a soli for the our section and co section leaders. our band is also going to the Sugarbowl this year!!! but i unfortunately can't go...so sad! ok...well i do believe i've written enough. lol...im me or "pm" me if ya wanna talk!

amour toujours,
mandee
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey I joined the forum yesterday and I am currently in the 10th grade and have been playing since the 7th.  Last year I made district honor band and was under the direction of Robert W. Smith himself and we were only the 4th band(I think Image ) to play his final movement from the Odessey, Itahaca.  As you can probably tell already I would much rather play in a concert setting that march on a football field.  I enjoy marching band but I just feel that it doesn't help me in my musicianship as much as concert does.  I think that the new band director has something for musicals.  His first year(last year) the field show was Grease and this year it's The Wizard of Oz.  Oh, I forgot to mention there are 5 trombones in my section at school, 3 playing 2nd and 2 playing first or 2 playing 2nd, 2 playing 3rd and 1 playing 1st.  I'm not going to get into who's the best player or whatever, that would just waist your time and that would be bad.  Well, I'll start to be a regular poster around the forum.

Cya
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

we had to play that wretched song, Malaguena, my 9th grade year in high school.  i dont remember much about it, other than it was ultra easy and got very loathsome after being played about 200+ times -- maybe it got that way after the first recital.  our trombone section was sorry, other than myself and the fella in 2nd chair.  mr. fukaloo, the band director, stressed to the two of us constantly to not play so loud, but we did it anyway to pite him because learning the music was a breeze.  and on the plus side we had the loudest, brassiest bone section (we could never get the other guys to play louder than a whisper, so it was actually a section of two) and blew away the other marching band's bones in our day.  but since we graduated the section lost all its infamy and recently i attended a football game they marched in -- 3 years later -- man, do they ever suck.  you can't even tell a trombone is being played.  but thats high school for ya.  we made it a point to get as loud, nasty, and accurate (if thats possible) as we could to dominate the rest of our pathetic band...we succeeded.

thank the deities i no longer participate in a marching band in any way!
but i was always a pessimist about it.

Return to “Chit-Chat”