Something better than photoscore?

harrisonreed

Something better than photoscore?

Post by harrisonreed »

Photoscore can't read time signatures, distinguish triplets, identify basic words written in the latin alphabet, identify basic dynamics written in italics, and basically only does a good job of identifying every note head and staff line, while messing up literally everything else on the page. So you get a scan that gives you a massive mess to sort out and it doesn't really save any time.

Anyone have a different program they use to get sheet music scanned in and ready to work with in Sibelius or Finale? I would love one that gets the note values correct but also doesn't turn accents into 7's or write jibberish words instead of note beams.
Doug Elliott

Re: Something better than photoscore?

Post by Doug Elliott »

All of that is true of the free version, but I understand the paid one is much better - but I've never bought it. Which one have you used?
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

The MuseScore (experimental) conversion service has improved since I tried it several years ago but it's not 100% of your wants.

Scan on the left... MuseScore result on the right.
musicConversion.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
muschem

Post by muschem »

robcat2075 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:51 am The MuseScore (experimental) conversion service has improved since I tried it several years ago but it's not 100% of your wants.
Just to add a bit to that...
MuseScore uses Audiveris to handle conversion, which is also available to install locally, if you don't want to wait for MuseScore to proxy the file processing for you. While it is free, I've had mixed results with using Audiveris for conversion. A lot depends on the quality of the input, but you can run into some pretty weird output when Audiveris guesses at what you want. Clean-up in the Audiveris software is possible to an extent if you install the engine locally (tuning the output isn't an option as far as I know in using the service through MuseScore), but clean-up is pretty painful and the available options for correcting bad conversion guesses are limited. For me, for simple inputs, it is often just as quick to manually enter things in MuseScore as it is to do a lot of clean up on a bad Audiveris conversion. But, when it gets things right, it can save a lot of time.

I've been meaning to try some other OMR options to see if I like something better than Audiveris. If I ever get around to that, I'll chime in with more feedback.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:54 am All of that is true of the free version, but I understand the paid one is much better - but I've never bought it. Which one have you used?
Pro version. It's not what I need, unfortunately.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Is musescore able to send a file to Sibelius?
muschem

Post by muschem »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:06 pm Is musescore able to send a file to Sibelius?
Seems so, but I haven't tried it: https://musescore.org/en/node/272634
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

robcat2075 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:51 am The MuseScore (experimental) conversion service has improved since I tried it several years ago but it's not 100% of your wants.

musicConversion.jpg
I'm pretty that's had some post-conversion cleanup. Someone added that q=120 tempo and the piano dynamic marking. No telling how much more they did.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

JohnL wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:46 pm

musicConversion.jpg
I'm pretty that's had some post-conversion cleanup. Someone added that q=120 tempo and the piano dynamic marking. No telling how much more they did.
No, I have not done anything to it other than screen grab it off the page.

The 120 seems to be a Musecore default
and the two "p" appear to be misreadings of words that have "p" in them
>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

Here is the PDF I used to test, so you may try it yourself.
Music-converted.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

A trumpet-player I know uses Capella to scan. He can export to MusicXML which can be opened in pretty much anything.

He recently scanned in a quintet for us to work on a multi-track project and what he sent me was quite usable. He didn’t grumble about doing a lot of manual corrections so I assume the scan worked quite well. I think Capella has a free trial period so just try it out if you’re interested.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

The problem with these conversion things is that even if it does a 100% accurate job... you don't know that until you have 100% A/B compared every note between the input and output.

It's like Tesla's Full Self Driving. It will drive the car for you but you still have to be as attentive as if you were driving the car in case it fails.
>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie

Return to “Technology”