Yamaha 891Z experience?

Jc13901

Yamaha 891Z experience?

Post by Jc13901 »

I have a 891Z on trial. I am very much liking it so far for a variety of reasons. Comments from users please?
Burgerbob

Re: Yamaha 891Z experience?

Post by Burgerbob »

They're OK. I don't have one myself but I play with many people that do. I find that they get the job done, and not much more from a sound perspective. To play next to they are fine but not spectacular. I usually prefer Kings or other, more interesting sounds.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
afugate

Post by afugate »

It sounds like you like it... :lol:

Seriously, if you like it, what else matters?
--Andy in OKC
Last edited by afugate on Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I owned one for a while. I'm not a Yamaha fan in general, but I liked this model with the long NY pipe, although I preferred the Shires MD+ and the Courtois 402. If the 891z were the only horn I had ever played, I would have been happy with it. I'm back on Conns now, though, with a 48h. It just feels more versatile. Truthfully they are all great horns, and you can't go wrong with any of the pro horns in that size including the 16m, but I'm a vintage Conn guy, it appears.
TromboneSam

Post by TromboneSam »

I played a 3B for a long time, and had a buddy of mine order me an 891Z to try from music & arts a few years back.

Technically it held up and was able to do everything my 3B could, even with similar tendencies. Nice and lightweight. Good balance. Slotted well. But I liked the character of my 3B better, but I imagine with the right leadpipe I would have liked it more.

Like hyperbolica said, if I’d never played my 3B I would have 0 issues with the 891Z.
Boneaphone

Post by Boneaphone »

I've been playing an 891Z for 5 years now. Previously played 1983 16M. Looked for something else because of the unpredictable Bb in 3rd position. Tried a 1963 King 2B. Felt great one day. The next day it was like I never played it before. Tried the 891Z on trial basis. Everything is where I know it will be everyday. All partials line up with good slotting. Very quick response and crisp articulations. My wife who is not a musician could even tell the difference when I first practiced with it compared to the 16M. I use the shorter LA pipe with DE C cup for most things and a B cup for any lead work. I had planned on trying more new horns but liked the Z a lot so I stayed with it - no regrets
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

It's the horn I play. I use it for big band, often on 1st or 2nd. I have one with a valve too, the "Håkan Björkman" model. It was at one time labeled 892ZX when it was sold n the shop here. Unfortunately I can not find any official references from Yamaha that confirms its existence. I only know of six existing 892ZX and one of them belong to Håkan Björkman. Anyhow both the 891Z and 892ZX are great horns. I find them to play very different from a 3b although they share the same bore .508.

I use the Andy Martin (LA) pipe which is the shorter of the two. It is a very open horn with a clear sound. It holds together no matter how much I put into the horn. It never gets harsh. I like the 3b too but the 891Z is more sophisticated. A 3b might be a much better horn for Dixie or new Orleans blues (what I think) but if you listen to Wycliff Gordon you can hear the 891Z has no problems to be bluesy in his hands. Add to this Andy Martins use of it in The Gordon Goodwin Band and Håkan Björkmans use for classical solo work as well as for the principal parts of the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra and you understand this is a very versatile instrument. You can experiment with different leadpipes and mouthpieces and you have a horn that fits any occasion. It is often said about the King 3b it is a very versatile horn. I have always found that to be difficult, the preference for me is it is more of a jazz horn but this 891Z is truly much more versatile as proven by the artists above.

Go for it!

/Tom
Last edited by imsevimse on Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jc13901

Post by Jc13901 »

Thanks everyone for your comments; most valuable plus those I’ve gotten from others. I think it’s a winner for many reasons. We’ll see where I’m parked with it in a couple more weeks. Chao.
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

Boneaphone wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:54 pm Tried a 1963 King 2B. Felt great one day. The next day it was like I never played it before. Tried the 891Z on trial basis. Everything is where I know it will be everyday. All partials line up with good slotting. Very quick response and crisp articulations.
I had the same experience with a 1961 3B. Interesting sound, but too many quirks to worry about remembering how to work around every time I played it. As a doubler, that effort was not worth the inconsistent results. If I was a full time small bore player, I may have kept it. The 891Z provides most of what that 3B did with none of the struggles required to produce them. It's easy to come off of weeks of exclusively playing bass, pick up the 891Z and sound good right away. I like how I sound on it and so do the people who hire me to play it. No regrets here either.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

The one thing that is fairly unique about Yamaha are their one-piece, unsoldered bells. I think that's where the criticism of Yamahas largely stems from as being somewhat "dull". It's almost impossible to overblow them relative to other horns of a given size. On some of their horns it works quite well. I tend to like the Yamaha the smaller they get. On larger horns I'm just used to something different. That's also where the comparison, in my opinion, of the Kings as being more raucous comes from. They're the opposite: 2 piece bells with a soldered bead. Is that all the difference? No, but it's a pretty important difference in my experience. That combination of parts also makes the Yamaha extremely consistent, combined with their typically immaculate assembly.

One thing that's important to keep in mind is that the sound coming out in front of the horn is important, but so is the sound "behind" the bell. It's a balancing act. If it doesn't sound good to you, it's a bear to play. If it doesn't sound good to the audience, what's the point in playing? If you can get both with the Yamaha, that's great. If you can get both with a King, that's also great. But Aiden's comment about section is important; it's good to solicit feedback from people you play with about how they perceive you as interfacing with them.

Edit: The info about the Yamaha designs was a little stale at 2021 and certainly by now is no longer true. They had advertised lead free compliance on their website and didn’t specify soldered or unsoldered bell beads at the time for several of their models. Yamaha 800 series often do have soldered bell beads so thought I’d mention that here since my understanding of their specs has changed. Fwiw I’ve played some of their 800 series in 2023 and found them to be quite good players.
mwpfoot

Post by mwpfoot »

bassclef wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:29 pmThe 891Z provides most of what that 3B did with none of the struggles required to produce them.
I use my 891Z in the rock/soul band, and I purchased it when it was introduced to replace a classic, yet inconsistent, 3Bss. Same experience: no regrets!

Over the break I purchased a Butler carbon fiber outer for it. This is not a setup I'd choose for the concert hall, but close mic'd with a wireless for a loud 90 minute dance set? Good clean fun.

:cool:
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Another 891Z fan. I love mine. Smooth and sweet and a joy to play.

Trust your ears, don't concern yourself with the silly slights of those for whom only a Bach or King will do. Bach and King do have a strong emotional appeal to some based on their use in a bygone era, but [deleted].
Last edited by PaulT on Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Good enough for Andy Martin, good enough for you

If you like it then buy it,great horns with fantastic slides
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

I love mine. It’s my favorite horn. I play in a New Orleans-style front line and it’s perfect. I play in a ska band and it’s perfect. I’ve played it in combos and it’s perfect. Great at Baroque arias and divisions too, btw.

I use the NY pipe and one of Pickett’s “Wycliffe Master” mouthpieces. I cannot imagine a more responsive trombone. This combo beats every custom combination I’ve ever played.
chouston3

Post by chouston3 »

I just got mine and I really enjoy it. It works great in community band as well as church solos.

When I tried out the lead pipes, everyone loved the LA pipe in a small room. However, as soon as I got into a larger space, all votes went to the New York Pipe.

I am having a little trouble with 7th position. It seems to be way out on the stockings. Other than that, everything works great.
Digidog

Post by Digidog »

chouston3 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:24 pm I just got mine and I really enjoy it. It works great in community band as well as church solos.

When I tried out the lead pipes, everyone loved the LA pipe in a small room. However, as soon as I got into a larger space, all votes went to the New York Pipe.

I am having a little trouble with 7th position. It seems to be way out on the stockings. Other than that, everything works great.
It may be my characteristics of playing, but all Yamahas I've had, have had their 7th positions far out on the slide, and the slotting slightly unstable and wobbly in low to medium dynamics. It takes some getting used to, but once you know about it it's an easy adjustment.
Welcome to visit my web store: https://www.danieleng.com/

Big Engband on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/30Vuft1 ... me3sZi8q-A
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

chouston3 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:24 pm I just got mine and I really enjoy it. It works great in community band as well as church solos.

All my trombones are like that. It's because I tune my trombone sharp and have short arms. Who needs seventh position when you play lead trombone? That saying is true most of the time. I think it was Urbie Green who said it, or it was me (just said it :good: ) I can reach the E on seventh but the B which needs a bit of adjustment anyway often needs a little bend too to be in tune, or I have to streach all I got. Not possible if it is fast. If I need I use a trigger-horn. If I have no time I fake it.

/Tom

Return to “Instruments”