Coffee and The Trombone

regiontwentythreefirsttrumpet

Re: Coffee and The Trombone

Post by regiontwentythreefirsttrumpet »

spencercarran wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:49 pm The pH of coffee is usually about 5, making it somewhat more acidic than your regular saliva (or water, of course). It definitely adds some extra wear to the inside of the horn. Not as bad as if you were drinking orange juice right before playing.

My typical procedure is to brush teeth before playing, only drink water during sessions.
Is drinking coffee, rinsing, waiting 20 minutes, than brushing your teeth still fine to the horn even if you still feel the taste in your mouth?
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

regiontwentythreefirsttrumpet wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:33 pm
spencercarran wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:49 pm The pH of coffee is usually about 5, making it somewhat more acidic than your regular saliva (or water, of course). It definitely adds some extra wear to the inside of the horn. Not as bad as if you were drinking orange juice right before playing.

My typical procedure is to brush teeth before playing, only drink water during sessions.
Is drinking coffee, rinsing, waiting 20 minutes, than brushing your teeth still fine to the horn even if you still feel the taste in your mouth?
YES. You're fine. The water rinsing alone will flush out any ill effects from the coffee. The toothbrushing will remove the trombone-clogging consequences of the food particles from that bagel / pastry you ate with the coffee!

Posaunus wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:15 pm
regiontwentythreefirsttrumpet wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:33 pm

YES. You're fine. The water rinsing alone will flush out any ill effects from the coffee. The toothbrushing will remove the trombone-clogging consequences of the food particles from that bagel / pastry you ate with the coffee!
Probably just the strength and acid from the coffee making it feel like I still had it in my mouth

spoink47 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:16 am Howdy, pals
Just bumped into this thread and I kinda have an issue with coffee, but I don't think another thread is needed. I'm just here for your advice

So, cleaning the instrument after coffee is a complete mess I agree, but my problem is slightly another.
have anyone noticed a lack of breath after having a cup of coffee? Or am I the only one? I just feel like my playing is slightly different after I drink coffee (yeah, strange thing, I know). I tried to research and read some coffee related articles (like this). Still, I don't know if it's a health issue or just a coffee effect.

Looking forward to your replies! Thanks
YES. I agree. Coffee raises blood pressure which results in shorter and smaller breaths. This is why I recommend getting a good rest and drinking only water while playing your instrument.

Return to “Maintenance”