alto trombone mouthpiece with a 1.5 G rim

ttf_tbonedude89

Post by ttf_tbonedude89 »

Hi all, I have a gig coming up on alto trombone in a few months and I'm trying to put together/find an alto trombone mouthpiece that has the same rim size as my regular mouthpiece (1.5G, I'm a bass trombonist usually).

Any ideas?  I wasn't sure if there is an off-the-shelf DE mouthpiece solution that will just screw together.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

All of dougs cups can have an alto underpart. You'd probably do best with an SB108,SBC,CAlto if you wanted to go that route unless you already had a rim of a different series.

You're probably going to catch flak here for attempting it but it's not much bugger than the piece I play alto on. (a 104N)
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Yeah, I think for the sake of sound and intonation you're going to have to compromise a little. I agree that the 104 is probably the upper end of where you want to go with this. I've used a 104c2alto and it worked, although I was never much of an alto player.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Matt's right, SB 108, C, C Alto.
XT 106 might be close enough to not bother you and would probably help some with range and sound, and then you have more cup choices but C is a good place to start.

If you don't already play alto you have more to worry about than the mouthpiece.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

The Griego 1A small shank is pretty good. I use the XT105 on alto as well. The 106, while great on tenor, was just too big for playing above the high Eb.

Just remember to push the tuning slide in all the way on your alto.
ttf_tbonedude89

Post by ttf_tbonedude89 »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Oct 09, 2017, 09:51AMMatt's right, SB 108, C, C Alto.
XT 106 might be close enough to not bother you and would probably help some with range and sound, and then you have more cup choices but C is a good place to start.

If you don't already play alto you have more to worry about than the mouthpiece.

I haven't practiced my alto for a year or two (while finishing my degree on bass trombone).  I started picking it up again around a month ago, and it's coming back pretty well Image .  I'm approaching the point that switching between bass and alto is proving challenging.  I've been using a small shank 12C since it's the smallest mp I could find at the time.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

It's not small that you need, it's shallow.  I play a 4C on my alto.  Works pretty well.  But I'm not a "toilet bowl" bass trombonist either -- I mostly play tenor.
ttf_Doug Elliott

All of those things I mentioned are in stock.
ttf_Doug Elliott

All of those things I mentioned are in stock.

Return to “Mouthpieces”