F attachments

ttf_stealthheartocarinaZ

F attachments

Post by ttf_stealthheartocarinaZ »

So I've been playing in a jazz, marching, concert, and pep band for over a year now, and I currently own a tenor Bb trombone (no trigger).

My goals for the future: I really enjoy marching band, and I plan on continuing to participate. As for professionally, I am looking forward to studying jazz specifically, but I also plan to continue with concert and orchestra as well.

I would prefer to stick with a trombone without an F attachment for now, for I don't want to destroy an expensive trombone while marching (especially since my section does suicides for the field show each year). But in the future, I would like to purchase a trombone with the trigger.

I do know that the trombones with F attachments can vary in the arrangement of tubing. Does this affect the sound at all? If yes, which trombone with the F attachment would you recommend?
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

F attachments

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

The one you can afford

Generally I would tell you to see what your private instructor recommends because he or she knows you more than we do. Or your band director. But general recommendations are the most popular trombones that we all will list. Bach 42B and variants, 36B and variants, Benge 175F and whatever other model it was. You can do a search on the forum and also look in the classifieds at what people are selling things for.

There are also threads on Closed V Open wraps and it comes down to they do and don’t make a difference. Depends on the horn as a whole. I think bracing is more important than the wrap. But if it’s a well made trombone then it’ll work well.
ttf_BGuttman

F attachments

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I second FPT's first sentence.

If you aren't going to play symphony later, you probably don't need a large bore.  A medium bore or even a King 3B-F will serve nicely.  If your playing needs change, there are some wonderful large bore trombones with F out there.  There have been other posts with model suggestions and I'm sure you can find one with a little searching.  A good used instrument could last you a lifetime (I have several in that category of different sizes).

If you are a full time player (or play in a snobby ensemble) then an open wrap and exotic valve will be de rigeur.  Most of us find the common models to be more than adequate.

Incidentally, you can continue marching once you leave college.  You don't have to be a veteran to join many American Legion bands, and there are adult Corps groups out there.  Even community bands sometimes march (although a lot of them ride).  I never marched in school, but I was recruited by a Union band (had to join for that) and marched parades with them until I couldn't any more.  My buddy, who got me into the band, used a crappy student horn that was older than he was for parades but had a much nicer horn to play in orchestra.

Good luck.
ttf_greenbean

F attachments

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Quote from: stealthheartocarinaZ on Yesterday at 10:46 PM
I do know that the trombones with F attachments can vary in the arrangement of tubing. Does this affect the sound at all? If yes, which trombone with the F attachment would you recommend?

In short, no.  There are many other factors more important in determining how an F-att horn will play.  Like the valve, gooseneck, bore, leadpipe, crook shape, and on and on.  The shape of the F-att should not be a factor in choosing a horn.  IMO.

I also strongly agree with FPT above.  Work with your instructor to pick a horn. 
ttf_Geezerhorn

F attachments

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

It is not unheard of at all to play everything you mentioned on a large-bore horn.

Here is a clip of James Morrison playing a jazz arrangement of Autumn Leaves on a large-bore horn.

However, I think it is quite uncommon in a renown band to see a 3rd or 4th part being played on a small-bore horn these days.

If I look at it as to what would be my "dessert island" trombone that I could use for all occasions, I believe it would be a large-bore that is known to handle being played a touch on the bright side if necessary.

But whatever you choose, you need a sound concept for it and then it's practice, practice, practice to get that sound out.

...Geezer
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

F attachments

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

If that clip is with Tommy Emmanuel then James is playing a Yamaha BASS trombone! But most likely not a full 2G-sized and up mouthpiece.
ttf_Geezerhorn

F attachments

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Full Pedal Trombonist on Today at 08:28 AMIf that clip is with Tommy Emmanuel then James is playing a Yamaha BASS trombone! But most likely not a full 2G-sized and up mouthpiece.

Even MORE amazing, eh?

...Geezer
ttf_Geezerhorn

F attachments

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Full Pedal Trombonist on Today at 08:28 AMIf that clip is with Tommy Emmanuel then James is playing a Yamaha BASS trombone! But most likely not a full 2G-sized and up mouthpiece.

Even MORE amazing, eh?

...Geezer

Return to “Instruments”