Tenon Swap

ttf_NateR

Tenon Swap

Post by ttf_NateR »

Hi all - Question:

I recently bought an SL6262 bass slide to replace my 73H slide. However, the tenon size is different on these slides, so it doesn't fit. Would it be possible to simply swap the tenons on the two slides so that the SL 6262 will mate properly with my 73H receiver? Or is this a more involved operation than I'm thinking (probably).

Thanks!
Nate
ttf_Matt K

Tenon Swap

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I've not done a Conn swap, so I don't know how hard it is to get the part. When I've swapped tenons, that's been the hardest part for me is just acquiring the part!  Unless the 73 is vastly different than the designs of the tenons I've swapped, you're looking at $60-$110ish in labor. 

ttf_bonearzt

Tenon Swap

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

Might actually be easier to replace the bell-side receiver with a current Conn part to match the SL6262 slide!

Eric

ttf_BrexWindWright

Tenon Swap

Post by ttf_BrexWindWright »

Quote from: bonearzt on Sep 28, 2017, 08:47AMMight actually be easier to replace the bell-side receiver with a current Conn part to match the SL6262 slide!

From my understanding, your new slide should fit the bell-side tenon from an 8/88h which is an easy to come by part as it's still being made.
ttf_wayne88ny

Tenon Swap

Post by ttf_wayne88ny »

The SL6262 slide should fit the 73H bell.  I have a SL6262 slide which will fit on my Conn 71H bell.  That being said, it does go on about 1/16" further than the 71H slide (if it was any smaller, it wouldn't work).  It does seem that, whether intentionally or unintentionally, the newer Conns do have a slightly smaller tenon and slide receiver (I have one bell with a newer receiver and it does fit the AL6262 slide better than on my older Conns).  I'm assuming this is your problem, rather than the tenon being too big for the receiver.

It is possible that your 73H slide receiver is a bit worn, and that combined with the slightly smaller tenon makes the combination incompatible.  I would agree with Eric that it would be easier to replace the slide receiver than to swap tenons.  An alternative solution would be to put some thin brass either on the outside of the tenon or inside the receiver. A temporary fix would be to wrap some tape around the tenon. 

A bigger concern for me, however, is that the SL6262 slide is significantly shorter (at least 3" in total length) than the 73H slide.  When I put the SL6262 slide on my 71H, I have to pull the tuning slide all the way out (to the point where it's almost falling out) to get the horn in tune.
ttf_wayne88ny

Tenon Swap

Post by ttf_wayne88ny »

The SL6262 slide should fit the 73H bell.  I have a SL6262 slide which will fit on my Conn 71H bell.  That being said, it does go on about 1/16" further than the 71H slide (if it was any smaller, it wouldn't work).  It does seem that, whether intentionally or unintentionally, the newer Conns do have a slightly smaller tenon and slide receiver (I have one bell with a newer receiver and it does fit the AL6262 slide better than on my older Conns).  I'm assuming this is your problem, rather than the tenon being too big for the receiver.

It is possible that your 73H slide receiver is a bit worn, and that combined with the slightly smaller tenon makes the combination incompatible.  I would agree with Eric that it would be easier to replace the slide receiver than to swap tenons.  An alternative solution would be to put some thin brass either on the outside of the tenon or inside the receiver. A temporary fix would be to wrap some tape around the tenon. 

A bigger concern for me, however, is that the SL6262 slide is significantly shorter (at least 3" in total length) than the 73H slide.  When I put the SL6262 slide on my 71H, I have to pull the tuning slide all the way out (to the point where it's almost falling out) to get the horn in tune.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”