Conserving Air

ttf_cigmar

Conserving Air

Post by ttf_cigmar »

Any ideas on how to conserve air for those long extended phrases?
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Conserving Air

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

Applying dynamics to long held notes. Start the note at the required volume then back off some after the note is established.
ttf_BGuttman

Conserving Air

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Circular breathing?

You may need to work on air management.  I was taught long tones where you try to extend  the duration.  Start playing quietly and see how much louder you can go and still keep the length.

Another possibility is to find places where you can sneak a breath in a long phrase without anybody noticing.  Sometimes conductors can have no concept of what they want.  I remember one conductor telling me to play 4 bar phrases in the chorale to "New World Symphony".  And I was bass trombone.  My lungs just weren't big enough.  I could easily do 2 bars and sneak back in, which I did.  The conductor never noticed.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Conserving Air

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

FWIW; in unison section play, everyone seems to take their breath on the first beat of a measure, so I try to take mine in the middle of a measure to preserve that wall of sound. The trick is a soft attack coming back in.

...Geezer

ttf_cigmar

Conserving Air

Post by ttf_cigmar »

Quote from: BGuttman on Sep 21, 2017, 07:17AM
You may need to work on air management.  

Yes.  That's also my conclusion.  Any other ideas, exercises to develop this.

ttf_Doug Elliott

Conserving Air

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

This may seem simplistic, but practice everything a lot softer.  It uses less air so you CAN play longer phrases, and improves response efficiency, which then allows you to increase volume without wasting air.

It would help to know specifically what kind of phrases you're talking about.

It would help even more to see you play.  There are lots of things that affect efficiency.

There's a bass trombonist member here who I've been teaching monthly for a few years now.  He can play about 3x longer phrases now than when he started.
ttf_robcat2075

Conserving Air

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

A lot of brass pedagogy (Air velocity! Move the air! Breath support!) is contrary to "conserving" air.  For a good reason, I guess... it's a wind instrument, you gotta use air to make the sound.

You either use less of it by playing quieter or replenish it more often.

I'm still looking for the plans for this thing.
ttf_cigmar

Conserving Air

Post by ttf_cigmar »

Thanks Doug.  Sometimes the simple things elude us.  Will incorporate more soft playing in the practice routine.

Nothing special in the phrases I'm dealing with, basic legit stuff.

I've found that trying to stay as relaxed as possible, especially in the upper body, helps quite a bit.
ttf_cigmar

Conserving Air

Post by ttf_cigmar »

Thanks Doug.  Sometimes the simple things elude us.  Will incorporate more soft playing in the practice routine.

Nothing special in the phrases I'm dealing with, basic legit stuff.

I've found that trying to stay as relaxed as possible, especially in the upper body, helps quite a bit.

Return to “Practice Room”