Love shiny things but afraid of the .545 bore on the Wessex

ttf_billepstein

Post by ttf_billepstein »

A returning player after almost 30 years I tried a .545 Blessing a few years ago and quickly gave up until recently because of poor breath control.

I'm on a .520 Conn 50H now for about 60 days with very good progress and my enjoyment is increasing along with breath control as the muscles and muscle memory are coming back. The Conn has a surprisingly 'rich' sound taking into account it's bottom of the range construction but it's a true "beater" with pitted inners and worn valve.

The $850 price point of the Wessex Tenor is about what I can afford and I'm afraid to put that much into a used horn; the good ones are all $1250 and above.

Is there a Chinese horn with, say, a .525 bore, perhaps a Bach 36B copy that's been QC'd like the Wessex? Or would continued progress make the .545 a possibility? There's nowhere less than a long days drive I can try anything.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Wessex has a .525 with F attachment.

ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Not sure which "545" you're talking about, but Wessex has a .525" (https://www.wessex-tubas.com/shop/trombones/tenor-trombone/pb525/) which is a loose copy of a Bach 36b, comes with a trigger I've heard, and plays very well.

The Wessex horns I think get more than just western QC, I'd be willing to bet they also have had the benefit of western training, materials selection, mfg techniques, and a fair bit of practice. I've bought 2 Wessex horns, a euph and a tenor with two triggers. The tenor was exceptional, completely on par with what you would expect from a Bach, maybe even a Shires. Played very well, all the parts were well made and well assembled.
ttf_afugate

Post by ttf_afugate »

I purchased one of Wessex's PB 525 horns for our daughter.  It's a good horn.

--Andy in OKC
ttf_fkin

Post by ttf_fkin »

Quote from: hyperbolica on Aug 23, 2017, 12:29PM I've bought 2 Wessex horns, a euph and a tenor with two triggers. 
a tenor with 2 triggers????? do they have such a thing selling??? what model???
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Quote from: fkin on Yesterday at 09:53 PMa tenor with 2 triggers????? do they have such a thing selling??? what model???
It was a prototype, not a production model. I don't think they are going to produce it. I put a 9" 5b bell on it, and it played great. It was very 42bish to start, and with the 5b bell turned out kind of Holtonish. Great fun. Not sure what I'd use it for. I sold it to some military cat in DC.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

The JP Rath 331 seems to have a good reputation. It comes in around $1,500.

https://www.dillonmusic.com/p-11160-john-packer-rath-331-tenor-trombone.aspx

For that same dough, you can probably find a good used Bach 36B as well.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

The JP Rath 331 seems to have a good reputation. It comes in around $1,500.

https://www.dillonmusic.com/p-11160-john-packer-rath-331-tenor-trombone.aspx

For that same dough, you can probably find a good used Bach 36B as well.

Return to “Instruments”